New to coins!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lexane, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Lexane

Lexane New Member

Hi everyone I just inherited a lot of old silver half dollars and I'm not too sure where to go from this. I looked up how to get them graded but not sure what's the best way to do that. Is it inexpensive to get a coin graded? What exactly does a graded coin mean? I have over 100 coins and I'd like to see if they are worth anything. I'm thinking if I get them graded I could sell them for a good price. Also what is the best way to sell coins? Through eBay? Or auctions? Where do you get the most money from them? Also what does M68 or M70 mean? If anyone has any advice that would appreciated.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance. I have a lot of walking liberty coins from the 1930s and 1940s. Some JFK silver half dollars from the 60s and some Ben Franklin half dollars from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Plus I have one 1903 Barber half dollar.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The best way to go is start by posting some photos of them so we can see exactly what you have. For example, are they Kennedy, Franklin, Walkers, etc? I would not rush to send them anywhere or sell them until you learn more. For starters, here is a website to learn about coin grades (and FYI, most that you have will likely not be MS68 or MS 70):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_coin_grading_scale

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to the fun. Could you post some images of the collection. That will get you better answers. What type of half dollars do you have?

5. Lexane

Lexane New Member

Thanks a lot I'll look into that.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Lexane

Lexane New Member

I will post some pictures when I get a chance. I have a lot of walking liberty coins from the 1930s and 1940s. Some JFK silver half dollars from the 60s and some Ben Franklin half dollars from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Plus I have one 1903 Barber half dollar.

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Welcome to the jungle. :)

Clear photos from straight above the coin (not at an angle) will probably help us tell you if any of the coins are worth more than their metal value. When someone says they inherited a bunch of coins, it can be anywhere from a pile of junk silver to a bunch of cleaned coins to a truly fine collection, and it's hard to tell the difference as a beginner.

I would actually advise you to check an online price guide such as the one at Numismedia.com to get the vaguest idea if any of the coins could be worth anything. Don't attempt to clean or shine them up! And don't get too excited when you see the dollar number in the right hand column, because that's for the highest grade listed. Most likely your coins are not going to be that.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. juliacoins

juliacoins New Member

You have grat coin collection

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT and best of luck with your coins.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I hope this new found collection will get you interested in the hobby. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot about history as well.

I would get yourself a Red Book. Read the sections on the coins you possess. It has some basic grading information. Once you've established the condition of the coins, then you can begin to place a value on them. The values in the Red Book are not accurate, but use them as an approximation.

It sounds like you have a lot of common silver coins. Unless they are exceptional in condition or are a scarce date or MM, I think they'll be of moderate value.

Welcome to CT.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The first thing to do with your coins is nothing at all. Like JP said, get a good reference book and study up on them before you decide to do anything with them. You might want to sell them, but I'll warn you of this: coins are fascinating and addicting. The coins you have now may just be the solid start to a lifetime collection of your own.:)

12. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

They are all that indeed. Wish I'd have studied a bit more before plunging but, oh well. I have value in my collection. It's just scattered in all directions. Awesome hobby though, even for poor folk like myself. Maybe time to go through those jars of wheaties I have and pretend there is something there. LOL
    Happy collecting to you and enjoy! It can be consuming.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And there you have it. This very well may be the most important thing for new collectors to understand, especially considering the fact that their interests will almost certainly change over time. Learn first, take it slow, and do not jump head first into buying what you do not understand or know (doing so can be a recipe for disaster). It's just too easy for one to bury themselves and later turn sour on the hobby, so while it may not be as fun as a buying spree (as an example), in the long run you'll almost certainly be glad you did.

14. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Yes, you certainly said a mouthful there. I wish I'd have listened a lot more (right here) prior to going on my spending spree. I'd have certainly done it differently. I was hard headed and thought I knew enough to go full throttle. NOT. Oh well. I still have a valuable coin collection, just not as valuable as I once thought. Now I guess I'll go through and re-grade everything. I need a beer. I know SOME things now but, still have tons to learn, obviously (more than I knew back then anyway)Yeah, it bites. Onward ho, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted