New to Coin Talk

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Archie Meredith, May 28, 2016.

1. Archie Meredith

Archie Meredith New Member

This is a coin I picked up back in the 60s. Been collecting since the late 40s. Here is an 1834 large cent with double profile on the face.

What condition do you think its in?

What value would you put on it?

Attached Files:

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

cleaned and some cool doubling going on by the nose and mouth. wait for more opinions... and welcome to CT. :cat:

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Archie!

The doubling of the profile bothers me. It doesn't look right. Note that the nose & lips of the "inner" profile are slightly different from the nose & lips of the "outer" profile.

Chris

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Hello Archie. Alan here. Welcome to the club.
    Large cents are not in my collection, so I'll let some of those collectors chime in on your coin.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Need better photos. If you got this in the 1960's it is 100% genuine. My initial concern is the lump next to the bar on the reverse but I'll bet it just looks raised in your photo.

This type of doubling is fairly common on Large cents; yet your coin is doubled to the max! Even looks like "Liberty" is affected.

When these coins were made , the head design was put into the die separately from the date and letters. So the die that made your coin was hubbed twice. Therefore, many other coins like this exist. I do not have my Large cent book here but someone like @SuperDave can ID your coin easily by the die breaks on both sides.

The coin looks like a 45 -50. Cannot tell for sure if it is original due to the color in your photo. My guess, no. There is also some corrosion (black spot) on the reverse.

Value: Cannot help with that.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

N1, I think. This level of doubling isn't uncommon with them, it's the screw press form of "machine doubling" from worn-out equipment.

1834N1dbl.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted