New to coin collecting where to start

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kathy Valent, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Back in the day before the internet, before google existed to answer every question you needed, I think a lot of people just saved everything that was out of the ordinary. There were no forums to help beginners, even for me into the 90s.
    Common wheat cents, the 1976 Centennial coinage, half dollars, Ike dollars, Susan B Anthony's, silver etc.. The average, casual collector really had no idea how common much of that stuff was or what might become valuable some day so they saved it all. It can make for an interesting batch of stuff to go through but you probably don't need to get it insured. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

If you are going to learn about the collection then buy some books and learn how to grade. So start with red book, maybe ANA grading guide. Then you can at least identify maybe some of the rarer ones if you have any. My grandfather had some morgans but most of them were only worth silver value. Since my father got them he eventually sold them - okay by me. Just my two-cents worth of opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted