new strange coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by muneerco, Apr 19, 2015.

1. muneerco

muneerco New Member

Can anyone identify this gold coin

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It appears to be Himyarite, but they made no gold coins, only silver. Perhaps someone gold-plated a Himyarite silver?

But the style is very crude. I'm not ready to say it's fake, but where did you get this coin, and how much does it weigh?

swamp yankee and NOS like this.
  4. muneerco

muneerco New Member

Hello
    I think you are. Right about where. It came from. But it was tested gold over 22 carrot. Any ways. It was found in Jordan and it weights 9,82 grams.

5. John Anthony

Well, it's some sort of fantasy piece. It looks very homemade. Maybe intended for jewelry? It's not a coin.

randygeki likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

There are very ratre, unpublished Himyarite gold issues, but this one is a crude fake.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. John Anthony

I had no idea. Have you handled any?

9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I've seen one of the scyphate type. I believe some are known for the "Augustus"/owl types too.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

this is what it is trying to be...not my coin..

[​IMG]

this this is mine, a little scyphate!

[​IMG]

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... it is always quite sad when they end-up being fake (that's too bad, muneerco)

:(

12. Bing

Speaking of, I'm still waiting on David Sear to send me word of my Nero. I'm hoping it's not fake, but I have a sinking feeling.

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Hope you get the thumbs up. How long have you've been waiting for him to come back to you?

14. Bing

Three weeks.

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

apparently you didn't pay the extra cash for speedy processing, eh? (go figure)

;)

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. Bing

You know I'm too cheap to pay extra for fast shipping. Heck, I didn't even want to spend the money for certification at all.

stevex6 likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have that problem, too. I would not send a coin that I did not have some doubts about so I see myself throwing good money after bad. I also see no benefit in rushing the decision. I'd like to think any coin I sent in took them more than a second to determine one way or another. Still I'd rather have a coin returned as unable to determine than have them guess. Most of us have coins of which we are less than 100% certain. If I sent a coin off and they said it would good, would I be able to erase all traces of doubt I had? Certainly they could turn a coin that I considered 50-50 into one I'd call 90-10 but 100% certain is very, very certain. What would Sear have said about the first Domitian II coin before they found the second one? This hobby is not a good fit for those who require absolutes in dating, grading and even authenticity. We do the best we can.

zumbly, Pawnmonkey, Gao and 1 other person like this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahaha => of course I knew, but I still had to take the extra shot at you, my thrifty friend!!

:rolleyes:

cheers

NOTE => I triple the cost and ask for same-day service!!

;)

19. Bing

There is an old saying that comes to mind. Let me see if I might be able to remember it. Hmmm, let me see. Something like "A fool and his money are soon parted" I think.

stevex6 likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, originally I thought about flying-up David for the weekend (first-class) and then have him merely thumb-through my collection and pick-out the dawgs (money no object) ... but sadly, that fell through and there is now a restraining order against me

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    TIF, Bing and John Anthony like this.
  21. John Anthony

lol

Draft saved Draft deleted