New Shipment Of Coins (with a poll)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NicholasMaximus, May 30, 2020.

?

Which Two Coins do you like the best ? ( 1 Tier one & 1 Tier Two)

1. Diocletian (tier one)

22.9%
  2. Postumus (tier one)

56.3%
  3. Valentinian (tier one)

16.7%
  4. Constantius Chlorus (tier one)

4.2%
  5. Honorius (tier two)

2.1%
  6. Victorinus (tier two)

45.8%
  7. Constantine (tier two)

31.3%
  8. Constantine II (tier two)

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NicholasMaximus

NicholasMaximus Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

I hope you and your family are staying safe with all that is going on in the world. I wanted to share with you 8 new coins that I havent shown anyone yet (other than my girlfriend who kindly feigns interest).

I thought I would make it fun by including a poll to see which coins you all think are the nicest of the bunch. I broke the coins down into two tiers and would love it if everyone voted for one coin from each tier. I have my selections already, and I am really curious to see how they compare to the cointalk community.

Tier One

Diocletian

Dioc.jpg

Postumus

Postumus HERC DEVSONIENSI.jpg

Valentinian II

Val II REPARATIO FEL TEMP.jpg

Constantius Chlorus

Constantius Chlorus GENIO.jpg

Tier Two

Victorinus

Victorinus SPES.jpg

Honorius

Honorius GLORIA.jpg

Constantine

Constantine IOVI CONSERVATORI  3.jpg

Constantine II

Constantine II GLORIA Wreath.jpg

I hope I'm not asking too much and I hope you enjoyed my thread! I look forward to hearing any thoughts/ opinions anyone has.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

My faves are Postumus and Diocletian. But overall some nice coins in there.

svessien and NicholasMaximus like this.
  4. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

I really like the bust of Postumus, it makes for a vey attractive coin. Congrats on the haul of coins.

NicholasMaximus likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All nice coins, my favs are Postumus (great portrait) and Constantine.

thejewk, DonnaML and NicholasMaximus like this.
  6. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I voted for the Gallic emperors. Very nice Postumus, and the Victorinus has a full reverse legend. This is in many cases a problem with Victorinus, Tetricus and Tetricus II (especially the two last ones): A worn reverse die with only partial legend, making the coin difficult to identify. This one is not. Nice coin. I like the Diocletian too, but not the roughness on it. Good bit of silvering left, though. Congrats with the haul!

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Diocletian was an easy choice for me due to the reverse type which I consider better than many of his. Victorinus is the only tier two coin I would have bought (except that I have the type so I don't need it). The Postumus is also an interesting reverse but this one is not the finest specimen due to the reverse die (not always good on these!) while the Diocletian would be harder to find better. If I were to see the Diocletian at a show, I would buy it.

rrdenarius and NicholasMaximus like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Same two for me.

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Definitely the Postumus, love that portrait, great coin.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Vote GALLIC / CELTIC EMPIRE
    I don't go for "looks".

(Even though the Romans tried to exterminate them...)

upload_2020-5-30_19-43-9.png
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Oriens ex: @TIF

upload_2020-5-30_19-44-30.png
    RI Victorinus 269-270 CE BI Ant Gallic Empire Salus

11. NicholasMaximus

It looks like Postumus and Victorinus are going to win in a landslide. This is what I expected, the portrait on the Postumus immediately drew me in. Victorinus was clearly the best coin of the second tier in my opinion, especially since the Constantine is fairly common.

Personally, I like the Diocletian the best (postumus was a close second). The way I see it, Postumus has a great portrait but a weak reverse. Valentinian II has a great reverse (my favorite reverse of the bunch) but a weaker portrait. The Diocletian coin has some wear on it, but i felt like it had a solid portrait and a strong reverse, so it is the most balanced all around. I also have a strong affinity for Diocletian, so that likely factors into my equation.

@dougsmit I bought the Constantine because I already had the same coin for him and wanted a more detailed duplicate from another mint. The facial details are different, and I like having them side by side in my coin binder.

All of the second tiers very affordable (the Honorius was only 8 bucks) and it might sound funny, but I think the figures on it look a bit like Aliens, which made me want it even more. There is also something about the helmets on the Constantine II that I like.

Thanks to all who voted, shared there thoughts and to anyone who does so after this comment!

JackBlueDog, Alegandron and DonnaML like this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I liked both the portraits on Postumus and Diocletian. I got the sense that the Diocletian coin, pre-reform, has an accurate portrait, whilst the Postumus is high quality as well.

Here is a Diocletian which appears to resemble his portrait on the coinage:

[​IMG]

Alegandron and NicholasMaximus like this.
  13. NicholasMaximus

@Alegandron

That is an incredible Victorinus, now I'm jealous of yours lol

JackBlueDog and Alegandron like this.
  14. Alegandron

Thank you. I got it from @TIF. It was green. Both of us had no clue that it was silvered underneath. However, a fellow CT Member, @YOC offered to clean it for me. He had a new solution. (I don’t think he posts anymore, and his CT name does not light up as a current member.)

This was the original coin’s patina. It is the ONLY coin in my collection that has been cleaned under my shepherding...

[​IMG]
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Oriens GREEN

15. NicholasMaximus

Wow, that is quite the transformation @Alegandron , I am personally working on some cleaning methods with a bunch of uncleaned coins i got. I should be posting a review thread some time next week or two (depending on the progress made).

The coins were in poor condition, almost seem like they were dipped in cement. But i think I will get a few decent ones out of the 34 i got. I am excited to see what the before, during and after photos look like when they are done.

I dont anticipate anything remotely as successful as that Victorinus though.

JackBlueDog and Alegandron like this.
  16. Alegandron

I don’t clean, and it was the only one I farmed out!

I was shocked how well it came out. YOC approached me, and offered to use his method. It was not a high priced coin, so I decided to try it, even though I do not clean, nor allow coins to be cleaned under my control. Unfortunately, my poor-picture-taking does terrible justice to the change it went through. I am in the US (NC at that time), and he was in the UK. The process of shipping, treating, and return shipment was close to 2 months as I recall. I was not concerned about the coin as it was a low monetary risk. And it let YOC demonstrate the results of his cleaning process. I was WOWED when I received it! Amazing change! And a relatively great quality coin as a result of his cleaning!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  17. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Came a little bit late to the party, Constantine and Diocletian are the ones I voted for :)

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I still go for portraiture above all, it would seem, so the Postumus and Victorinus got my vote. I got a small confidence boost to find that my votes both ended up with the majority in both categories.

Why do those Gallic coins seem to come so nice most of the time, and yet still be so relatively inexpensive in most of the Æ coins I've seen? I guess they did make a lot of them. Huge hoards? Anyway, I like them.

NCnYqkriTQ6NKY9bMAtr_RS067-Postumus.jpeg 8svXoO2dSLeqcwdB4ALc_RS072-Victorinus.jpeg

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  19. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

The Gallic emperors are winning as sure as Postumus sent Gallienus limping back to Rome to lick his wounds.

20. NicholasMaximus

I think we might have read that chapter in history a bit differently lol. Postumus was quite lucky to escape the fury of Gallienus on two separate occasions. It is muddy history, but their is speculation that the conniving Aureolus, allowed Postumus to escape the first time.

The second time, Gallienus had some
    success but was personally wounded, which derailed the campaign. So literally, yes, Gallienus did head back to Rome with wounds. But Postumus was also very lucky to survive.

Gallienus was treated poorly by ancient sources and had a ton of threats to deal with (both internal and external). Some of his cavalry reforms were also pretty significant.

JackBlueDog likes this.
  21. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

I would agree with you, just making a joke. Gallienus did quite well given the circumstances he was facing. While he obviously wanted to reclaim what Postumus had taken, I tend to agree with many historians who assess that he was probably lucky to have him there as he seemed content with what he had, and it freed him up to deal with the many other threats he was faced with.

DonnaML and NicholasMaximus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted