New Sestertius of Nero - DECVRSIO

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

IMG_0381.jpg
    NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P - Laureate head to left /
    DECVRSIO S C - Nero on horse galloping to right, holding spear, accompanied by soldier riding to right behind with vexillum over shoulder
    Sestertius, Rome mint 64 A.D.
    35mm / 25.64g / 6h
    RIC I 171; BMCRE 145 (same dies), Cohen 84, Cayon 106

IMG_0382.jpg

The term "Decursio" as mentioned by Livius originally stood for manœuvres of the Roman army, by which the soldiers were taught to make long marches in a given time. Augustus and subsequently Hadrian ordered that the infantry and cavalry were to march out three times a month ten miles from the camp and ten miles back fully armed and equipped without quitting their ranks. Sometimes a sham fight between two divisions of the army was included.

A ceremonial "Decursio" was staged in public as part of the military honours paid by soldiers at the funeral of distinguished generals or emperors.
    This rite took place around the “ustrino”, the area where the ceremony of cremation was held, and was arranged in two stages, first a procession on foot and then a horsemen carousel.
    These two stages can be seen combined, one inside the other (the horsemen including their standard-bearers moving around a group of armed praetorians) on two sides of the base of the column of Antoninus Pius, relating to the funeral ceremonies of Faustina the Elder (140 AD) and Antoninus Pius (161 AD):

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-17 um 16.50.42.png

The Decursio which occurs on the coins of Nero seen on his Sestertii might either refer to the military manœuvres or mock fights held in the circus at Rome at special occasions (such as Imperial burials or triumphs) but also in certain times of crisis.

While it has been recorded that Nero personally took part in several of these, the specific occasion for their staging during during such games in the reign of Nero might either be the death of Neros little daughter Claudia or the success of Cn. Domitius Corbulo in the Orient, both of which occurred in 63 A.D..

This is my first Sestertius of the year. I had decided to stop buying more because my one-per-ruler Sestertius collection is complete now, but then I only had a right-facing Nero (Janus Temple reverse) so far:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-17 um 17.54.40.png

On the other hand I think there are few ancient coins matching Nero´s large bronzes in terms of artistic appeal, so can one ever have too many?
    I might shop for one with the triumphal arch reverse next :).

Cayon lists 45 varieties of Nero´s Decursio Sestertii, depending on them being issued at Rome or Lugdunum, the portrait facing right or left (much rarer), it wearing an Aegis or not, several different obverse legends, the inclusion or omission of the SC, the horses prancing right or left, or Nero sometimes being accompanied by two soldiers on foot instead of a horseman.

The specimen in the British Museum (catalogue No. R 9935) of my type is from the same pair of dies as my coin but had it´s reverse tooled to remove the accompanying soldier:
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-17 um 16.34.38.png
    Compare to the seller´s photo of my coin:
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-17 um 16.40.38.png

There is some (ancient?) graffiti visible in the right reverse field next to the horse including something resembling "XX". Could this be an owner´s mark, used for gaming, or indicate a later use as a different denomination (20 Nummi or something)?

Please share your thoughts and show your Decursio coins or other Nero Sestertii !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

That’s one great coin

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice JG and i agree....i have more Nero coins than any other emperor..and still need some..:) IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0477.JPG

5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Very cool to have a coin struck the same year as The Great Fire at Rome! Superb artistry too.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  6. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Terrific looking Nero's - my favorites.

a few of his sestertii...
    3Tnag2iFDPy7E6NbGa4Js8JqZDo59C.jpg 7FjtCz55c8iGDoR6i3fY9sTktA2Bj4.jpg 9KjENo3Yc2B9bWr46zAwN5q776ZpQR.jpg 19-1530.jpg 33365_33365-4_c.jpg 782839.jpg 961688.jpg 75001005.jpg

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Beautiful example! I love the high-relief portrait. And I think you're quite right to include multiple Neros in your sestertius collection. :D

My modest contribution to what is already an amazing thread:
    nero arch sest.jpg
    Note that it has a JG-approved® (non-)patina.

Carl Wilmont, PeteB, galba68 and 11 others like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very nice coins all. I sure need to get a big chunky sestertius of Nero one of these days.

9. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

One of my favorite types

Attached Files:

10. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Thank you all for posting you big Neros!

Oh yes! I´d take that one any time!!!

OMG what a collection! Please let me know first if you plan on selling that brassy ROMA !!!

P.S.: My subtype (RIC 171) seems to be more than scarce (as rated by RIC): apart from my coin being the only die match to the BM specimen, the two other specimens I found are both from a second pair of dies:

3) Cayon plate coin:
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-22 um 21.33.08.png
    4) MK Berlin:
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-22 um 21.33.38.png

The fun to do die studies is one of the things I like about Sestertii !

Carl Wilmont, Bing, PeteB and 5 others like this.
  11. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

A few more Neronian sestertii , including a decursio with horsemen headed left...

m46755.jpg pWr2y6Rw5oDMA9ja3nL7eC4Nk8kJiK.jpg PCW-R242.jpg 1266631_1593783112.jpg 10560.jpg 73000845.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted