New Sestertius of Julia Maesa - which one would you keep?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Jun 21, 2020.

?

Which these Julia Maesa Sestertii should be the keeper here?

1. 1) keep the new one (PIETAS)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 2) keep the old one (PVDICITIA)

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. 3) keep both (I will explain why)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. 4) sell both, there are better Maesa Sestertii to be found for 100 USD

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I just bought a Sestertius of Julia Maesa on Ebay that features what I find is a very nice portrait of this empress plus a rounder flan than my old Sestertius of Maesa, and as a bonus comes in the unpatinated brass tone that I personally like:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-20 um 14.17.18.png
    IVLIA MAESA AVGVSTA – diademed and draped bust of Julia Maesa right
    PIETAS AVG S C – veiled Pietas standing left, holding incense-box and sacrificing on adorned lighted altar
    Sestertius, Rome 218-220 a.D.
    30 mm / 20,20 gr
    RIC 414, Cohen 31, BMCRE 389, Sear 7763, Banti 6 (38 specimens + 8 in Guelma hoard)

However, upon re-photographing my old specimen, I realise that it too has advantages, namely an agreeable two-tone patina and a much finer reverse:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-20 um 23.01.40.png

IVLIA MAESA AVGVSTA – diademed and draped bust of Julia Maesa right
    PVDICITIA S C – Pudicitia seated left, holding scepter and raising hand as if to draw veil
    Sestertius, Rome 218-220 a.D.
    30 mm / 24,48 gr
    RIC 420, Cohen 42, BMCRE 391, Sear 7764, Banti 8 (14 specimens + 4 in Guelma hoard)

Both coins are of course not perfect (for example legends are incomplete), but I find each suitable for my one-Sestertius-by Emperor portrait gallery.

BUT as I try to restrict my collection to ONE coin per personality, I would like your advice on WHICH of the two you would keep and why!

Julia Maesa, the central figure connecting the members of the Severin dynasty, was born at Emesa (modern Homs) in Syria on May 7 of an unknown year in the late 150s as the eldest daughter of Iulius Bassianus, high priest of the sun-cult of the god Elagabalus. In the 170s she married the Emesan nobleman Caius Julius Avitus Alexianus. They had two daughters, Julia Soaemias and Julia Mamaea, and Maesa´s younger sister Julia Domna married the senator Septimius Severus in 187.

Julia Domna:
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 19.12.09.png
    IVLIA AVGVSTA / VENVS FELIX S C
    Sestertius, Rome 196-211
    RIC 866, Cohen 199, BCMRE 775, Banti 48 (6 specimens)

After Severus became Emperor in 193, Maesa moved to Rome to accompanying her sister and lived in her shadow at the imperial court while her husband was promoted governor of Asia, Mesopotamia, and Cyprus, and consul in 209. By the time her husband died in Cyprus in 216 a.D. during a special mission on behalf of Caracalla, Maesa had amassed huge wealt and fortune. After the murder of Severus´ son Caracalla (08. April 217) and the death of her sister Julia Domna, Maesa and her family were spared by the new emperor Macrinus but forced to return to Emesa. This was a decision he would soon regret, because after returning to their home city, Maesa arranged for her eldest grandson Bassianus (by her daughter Julia Soarmias) to take over duties as chief priest of the sun-cult of the god Elagabalus after the death of her father in 217 aD.

Julia Soaemias:
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-21 um 19.22.35.png
    IVLIA SOAEMIAS AVG / VENVS CAELESTIS S C
    Sestertius, Rome 220 a.D.
    RIC 406; BMCRE 378; Cohen 18; Sear 7725; Banti 5 (30 specimens)

When the local Roman troops recognized a strong family resemblance of the young priest to their late commander in chief who commanded the loyality of soldiers even after his death, Maesa spread the rumor that her grandson was the illegitimate son of her recently slain nephew Caracalla and began offering to distribute her great wealth to the loyal soldiers in return for their support.

The rest is history: on 16 May 218 the 3rd Legion at Raphana swore allegiance to Bassianus, who in order to strengthen his legitimacy assumed the name of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus but is known to history by the name of his god, Elagabalus.

Elagabalus:
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-24 um 11.11.50.png
    IMP CAES M AVR ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / VICTORIA ANTONINI AVG S C
    Sestertius, Rome 218 AD
    RIC 377; BMCRE 362; Cohen 297; Sear 7582, Banti 51 (18 specimens)

Maesa was raised to the rank of Augusta on 30. May 218 and moved back to Rome after Macrinus´ defeat on 08.June 218 at the battle of Antioch.
    After being instrumental in replacing her elder grandson with his younger cousin and son of Maesa´s younger daughter Julia Mamaea, Severus Alexander, on 11.March 222, Maesa died at Rome before 03.Aug. 224 and was consecrated as DIVA MAESA AUGUSTA.
    She was subject to damnatio memoriae in March 235 but this was revoked before June 238.

PeteB, robinjojo, jamesicus and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I would keep both, as they're different. If you're determined to keep just one, I prefer the first one.

ATB,
    Aidan.

Julius Germanicus and Alegandron like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Keep both. Period.

Simple reason: They are coins.

Next. :)

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'd keep #2, I don't care for the flan flaws.

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I would keep the old one; it has nicer surfaces and the PVDICITIA reverse has more details.

Here's my (patinated) example of your first coin:

Maesa Pietas Sestertius.jpg
    Julia Maesa, Augusta AD 218-225.
    Roman Orichalcum Sestertius, 21.28 gm, 29.2 mm.
    Rome mint, AD 218-220.
    Obv: IVLIA MAESA AVGVSTA, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: PIETAS AVG SC, Pietas standing left, sacrificing over altar and holding incense box.
    Refs: RIC 414; Cohen 31; BMCRE 389; Sear 7763; Thirion 408.

robinjojo, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  7. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

By the first one, I meant the first one you had, the PUDICITIA, I wasn't clear!

Aidan.

DonnaML likes this.
  8. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

The first coin has better detail, compared with the second, but the fields are rougher and there are flan flaws and splits with the first coin. The second coin was struck on a better flan, but there is more wear.

Tough call.

I guess I would keep the first one when push comes to shove, but of course my natural inclination would be to keep both, especially since the reverses differ.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No question in my mind: Sell both and take up a hobby where you can buy what you like and not feel limited by only having one. To me, your suggestion is like saying that my hobby is running and I can't run on the same path ever again. Failing that, I'd sell both and buy one coin that convinced you that it made the other two of no interest. Whatever you do, don't buy a third coin of a different reverse with different faults that would put you in the position of picking the best of three. I only have one but that is because I have not found a Pudicitia sestertius in my price range (dirt cheap) that said, 'Buy me!' If I had, I would have without thinking twice.
    rn0225bb3094.jpg

DonnaML, zumbly, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted