New series of coins announced in the UK - Alphabetical 10 pence

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by PaddyB, Feb 10, 2018.

1. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

In case anyone wants a new series to collect, these have just been "gazetted", the formal process of announcing new coin designs:
    "
    The design of the said ten pence gold, silver and nickel plated mild steel coins shall be as follows:

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· ELIZABETH II · DEI · GRA · REG · F · D · TEN PENCE ·” and the date of the year, and for the reverse either:

(a) a depiction of the Angel of the North and the letter A; or

(b) a view down a gun barrel with the James Bond logo and the letter B; or

(c) a cricketer striking a ball and the letter C; or

(d) a depiction of a double-decker bus and the letter D; or

(e) a depiction of an English breakfast and the letter E; or

(f) a depiction of fish and chips and the letter F; or

(g) a globe with a marked line to indicate the Greenwich Meridian and the letter G; or

(h) the badge of the Houses of Parliament and the letter H; or

(i) an ice cream cone and the letter I; or

(j) a depiction of the Gold State Coach and the letter J; or

(k) a depiction of King Arthur and the knights of the round table with the letter K; or

(l) a depiction of the Loch Ness Monster and the letter L; or

(m) a Mackintosh and the letter M; or

(n) a stethoscope and the letter N to denote the National Health Service; or

(o) a sprig of oak with an acorn and the letter O; or

(p) a postbox on a street and the letter P; or

(q) a depiction of people queuing through the letter Q; or

(r) a robin and the letter R; or

(s) a view of Stonehenge and the letter S; or

(t) a steaming tea pot and the letter T; or

(u) part of a Union Flag and the letter U; or

(v) a depiction of a village street and the letter V; or

(w) a spider’s web and the letter W; or

(x) a ship off the shore of a coast and the letter X; or

(y) a Yeoman Warder and a key with the letter Y; or

(z) a zebra crossing and the letter Z.

The coin shall have a grained edge."

The gazette entry can be seen at: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2965802

paddyman98 and kaparthy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Please please tell me these are all rendered in the style of Richard Scarry...

sakata, lordmarcovan and PaddyB like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Could be interesting. Australia does this as well and some of them have nice designs

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That’s it - I’m out. I was trying to keep up with all of the decimal issues in the UK, but this is just too ridiculous, and will no doubt cost me too much money.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Holy crap. I was just joking on the PCGS forum a couple days ago that the US Mint was going to produce "The 26 Letters Quarters™" once the national parks ones were done. They would be issued in order of their admission to the alphabet. Additional letters (ð, ñ, þ, for example) added to the alphabet during the program would be eligible for their own coins at the end of the program, but digraphs would not be recognized. If they did them on cents, they could undercut the replacement scrabble tile market, as they're the same size. It looks like the 10p is too big for a Scrabble tile.

lordmarcovan and -jeffB like this.
  7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

With Lowly Worm making an appearance on all of them?

lordmarcovan and -jeffB like this.
  8. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Just need to chop the rounded edges off the coin to make it square and correctly sized for a scrabble board.

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Way too many issues in my opinion - pass. Then again, I will wait for the actual designs.

A few characters/subjects seem to be a little far-fetched, like the N and the X. What I do like are combinations where the spoken character sounds like the word for the depicted object: Q - queue, T - tea. :)

Christian

10. -jeffB

Ladies and gentlemen, a new collecting niche!

11. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Are these going to circulate or just be sold to collectors? If the latter, I like the idea. If the former, it seems a bit overkill.

12. PaddyB

On previous form they will be in circulation but in sufficiently low numbers to drive the collectors into buying the scarcer ones from the RM at grossly inflated prices. It is a well tried marketing strategy, which has been used in coins for a while and was superbly evidenced by the Beanie-baby craze of 20 years ago.

If they are packeted only, I will leave them alone as I have given up handing large sums to the RM for the sake of it. If they are in circulation I don't think I will be able to resist putting one of each letter aside - after all, that is what collecting is all about! (The opportunity to make up words using them is bound to appeal to the younger collectors too.)

I don't believe there any any pictures of them out yet but some visitors to the Mint in Llantrisant have been shown examples by staff there, so I expect they will start appearing soon. As to design - I hope they are good.

The references to Richard Scarry and the Lowly Worm went completely over my head - some one please explain?

lordmarcovan and TheGame like this.
  13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

PaddyB likes this.
  14. -jeffB

I guess he was mostly a US phenomenon. He started producing books in the 1960s, I think. I don't remember them from my own childhood, but friends my same age certainly did, and his books were a big favorite of my own children (now teens) -- so much so that when I think "illustrated alphabet", his work comes immediately to mind.

lordmarcovan, chrisild and PaddyB like this.
  15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

For those that are interested the release of the these by the mint crashed their website from a huge demand. The couple times I tried to log on it was over an hour wait with more than 20k people in front of me so it looks like they successfully created a lot of buzz.

16. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

gott helfe mir.....

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Richard Scarry was my favorite author up until I was seven or eight years old. I remember Richard Scarry books and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood on TV with nostalgic fondness.

As to this "alphabet" series, it seems quite absurd to me, but I can see the appeal of collecting such things out of circulation for the mere fun of it.

(I tend to agree with @PaddyB that I would draw the line at paying the mint much of a premium for any of them.)

18. lordmarcovan

Side note, in a similar vein:

Since Victorian love tokens are often found with a single initial letter engraved on them, this theme could be pursued with older coins as well.

Here in the US the Seated Liberty dime was the most common love token host, but you folks in the UK had some nicely engraved threepence and sixpence love tokens, and the odd shilling as well.

Nothing would say you had to stick to all the same denomination of host coin. You could just go for one of each letter engraving, on whatever host coin you could find the right letter on.

This could be a fun and relatively inexpensive pursuit, but the hunt would be challenging- and extremely so for some letters!

Here are some dime love tokens I had. I was collecting them by host coin date, not engraved letter. But I had an "X", which would be a bit harder initial to find!

LT06-1842 (1).jpg LT18b-1854.jpg LT14b-1850-edit.jpg LT13-1849.jpg LT09-1845.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    juris klavins and PaddyB like this.
  19. PaddyB

The 2018 Alphabet 10ps are already all over Ebay - sets from about £70 up to £200 (they cost £52 posted from the Royal Mail). Individual coins from £4 to £10 or more.

I will NOT be buying!

20. lordmarcovan

I will not be buying, either, but my last post has me browsing love tokens on eBay again, in search of single-initial pieces.

Your thread and my twist on the theme might just have launched me off on another Quixotic quest. Of course I thought of this idea some years ago. I recently sold off my third collection of love tokens but I always seem to come back to them.

It's a disease, but not one of the more malignant ones, numismatically speaking. ;)

21. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I agree with the above - if I were still living in the UK these might be fun to grab in circulation, but since I’m in the US, I have to order from the mint. But the Royal mint offerings are getting too varied and obsurd. I enjoy the historical commemoratives, but we’re also now in the third year of Beatrix Potter. I think I’ll be putting my decimal collection up for sale and keep me money and focus on medieval and ancients (perhaps keeping the occasional issue of interest to me)

Draft saved Draft deleted