New search engine for Byzantine:

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

I just found this when I was googling for something else:

http://labarum.info/lbr/index.php?s...=Search&sf_state=&sf_ruler=&sf_mint=&sf_denom=

You just either put the Sear number or the name of the ruler, and then it pops up. - And if you click on the text of any the coins then a description will appear.

Nobody has ever linked to it here unlike Wildwinds, so I think it might be interesting for you to know that it exists and maybe find it more usefull/easier than wildwinds.

They start from Anastasius(because of his monetary reform), and not from Arcadius.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I tried it on Justinian and on Anastasius, clicked the AE box, and nothing showed up except a message saying "coin not found" - not sure how it works.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

An interesting feature...go to advanced search. Type "Byzantine" into the "state" box and click search. You will get a list of all the coins they have in the database.

5. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

That was my mistake because I provided one link where I wrote "1" - So you should actually delete that number.

There is a "Sear"-box and a "Search"-box.

Here is the correct link:

http://labarum.info/lbr/index.php?s...Search&sf_state=&sf_ruler=&sf_mint=&sf_denom=

"Sear" is for the reference number, and "Search" for the ruler.

6. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I got my first 2 Byzantine coins, and I was just about to purchase a copy of Sear's book for future identification. :) I think this website fits the bill though.

Thank you for sharing, kind Herberto! :)

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  7. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I was aware of that site. It has majority of the same coins as wildwinds, but several of the coins have been updated based on recent auction sales. Some of my coins are listed there as well. Still, it is my goto site for quick verification of sear coins. Note that it does not have all the coins that are listed in sear as there are several missing...

8. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

This might be a little off-topic, but would it be worthwhile to get Sear's book? Is there a lot of additional information about the coins that you wouldn't find in other places? I'm very tempted.

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

IMHO Sear's books are well worth it. I only have the ones I need for my particular foci, but I am tempted to buy the others. I really like the additional information given on the historical figures that are represented on the coins. These blurbs make very interesting reading.

try to find a second hand or discounted copy of the latest edition. they are out there.

Alegandron and Quant.Geek like this.
  10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Yes, if you have any interest in Byzantine coins. I have a large ancient-coin library and use Sear's Byzantine Coins and their Values a lot. If all you want is a Sear ID number you can probably find that on-line and any Byzantine coin you buy will probably come with it given. but Sear does have more information (including years and officina numbers attested) and serves as a great checklist. I recommend it.

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Cool - maybe this site will bring a few more CoinTalkers to the joys of Byzantine!

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  12. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I second Orfew's comment. The books are really the way to go if you are truly into Byzantine coins. There are so many good information that just can not be obtained from these websites, but if you are in a hurry, the sites do help...

Draft saved Draft deleted