New RPC Lucius Verus Demeter

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Margolis, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Well I was just looking for an inexpensive lot of Romans for a new class of students but could not resist a Lucius Verus with a Demeter reverse and a provenance. Could only find one other online like it in the Boston Museum of Fine Art collection. Could not find any like it on, RPC Online, CNG, Acsearch, Wildwinds or Snible.org. Maybe just my poor search skills?, not sure.
    Reverse is poor but the bust and patina on the obverse is sweet. It is in my area of interest- the mystery schools of Eleusis,Delphi and the Mithraic cult. They are all connected and the time period was when they were all interconnecting and Christianity was budding alongside it all.And Demeter, the All Mother of Eleusis has a billowing cape in a crescent shape! @Ed Snible - The Mithras origin book is pretty good. Thanks
    upload_2018-11-2_20-5-4.png
    Kyzikos (Cyzicus) 34mm Struck Under Lucius Verus "Demeter"Lucius Verus
    Mysia, Kyzikos (Cyzicus) Mint 161-169 AD
    Obverse: AV KAI M AVRHLIOC Bare headed, draped bust right
    Reverse: KYZIKHNWN?.. Demeter (?) with two objects
    BMC: -, Ex. Aukt. Numismatica Wien 17, 274 Very Rare Size: 34mm, 25.36g
    This one from the Boston Museum Fine Art online:
    upload_2018-11-2_20-7-30.png
    upload_2018-11-2_20-7-54.png
    Coin of Cyzicus with bust of Lucius Verus(Museum of Fine Art – Boston) online collection Roman Provincial
    Imperial Period
    A.D. 161–169
    Mint: Asia: Mysia, Cyzicus
    Diameter: 35 mm. Weight: 24.09 gm. Die Axis: 7
    Obverse: Draped, cuirassed bust of Lucius Verus to right, seen from the back. Inscription in Greek.
    Reverse: Demeter, cloak swirling behind her, marches right, holding out two torches.
    Inscription in Greek.
    Provenance
    By 1964: with Münzen und Medaillen A.G., Malzgasse 25, Basel, Switzerland (Münzen und Medaillen auction 28, June 19-20, 1964, lot 377); purchased by MFA at the Münzen und Medaillen auction; accessioned September 23, 1964
    Credit Line Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Zoë Wilbour

And here was the lot of 20 LRBs which was what I really was looking for which I won($5.50) to surprise my new class of fifth graders with! coinlotromans3.jpg coinlotromans.jpg
    Post your Lucius Verus or Demeter beauties:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Mike Margolis likes this.
  4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Two torches held out is (also) a symbol of Hekate. Wikipedia says: "Ancient Greek: Ἑκάτη, Hekátē) is a goddess in ancient Greek religion and mythology, most often shown holding a pair of torches or a key and in later periods depicted in triple form. She was variously associated with crossroads, entrance-ways, light, magic, witchcraft, knowledge of herbs and poisonous plants, ghosts, necromancy, and sorcery.

I have one of Julia Domna:

JuliaDomnaProvBithynia_6320n01165.jpg

29 mm.
    Prusa ad Olympum, Bithynia.
    Not in references consulted, but the city is in Sear Greek Imperial as 2359.
    ex Henry Clay Lindgren, but not in his books.

dlhill132, tenbobbit, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  5. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Thanks Warren. I do feel that all these goddesses are interconnected, many have the triune aspect and the connection to the Tree of Life and the Moon. The dual torches are also interesting, I have a drachm of Alexander with Demeter holding the torches also reverse left field) upload_2018-11-3_11-48-8.png
    and this bronze of the triple form Moon Goddess Hecate: coinboughthecate.jpg
    The torches also carry over to the Mithraic mysteries and are prominent in many of the Aeonic Mithras depictions and the Tauroctony images: upload_2018-11-3_11-54-1.jpeg

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I understand that Tanit, patron of Carthage, was associated as Tanit / Demeter / Persephone / Kore...

This one can be harder to get. Here she is being minted in Southern Italia when Hannibal was ravaging the Romans.

upload_2018-11-3_13-17-6.png
    Bruttium -
    Carthage / Hannibal occupation during the 2nd Punic War
    AR Half-Shekel 216-211 BCE
    Tanit (Persephone / Demeter) -
    Horse SOLAR-O
    HN Italy 2016 SNG Cop 361-3

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    dlhill132, tenbobbit, Andres2 and 4 others like this.
  7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Another goddess whose attribute is the torch is Eileithyia. Wikipedia: "Eileithyia, along with Artemis and Persephone, is often shown carrying torches to bring children out of darkness and into light: in Roman mythology her counterpart in easing labor is Lucina ("of the light")."

Example of a coin perhaps depicting Eileithyia: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=296905

8. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

I knew I had something for this thread, not a looker but it fits well.
    Pseudo Autonomous Ae - 1st - 3rd century ad, Perinthos, Thrace
    Obverse - Veiled head of Demeter, holding Poppy & Grain ear
    Reverse - Artemis Tauropolos walking Right holding 2 Torches
    IMG_5108.JPG IMG_5107.JPG

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Ceres/Demeter with two torches:

Faustina Sr AVGVSTA Ceres Sestertius 2.jpg
    Faustina Senior, Augusta AD 138-141.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 25.81 g, 31.4 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 147-161.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AVGVSTA, Ceres standing left, holding two torches.
    Refs: RIC 1120; BMCRE 1516; RCV 4625.

Draft saved Draft deleted