New Roman Republic

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Latest addition is a bit rough Roman Republic of P. Licinia Nerva. I don't own many republics and it was cheap enough that I got it.

[​IMG]
    P. Licinia Nerva (113-112 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Helmeted bust of Roma left, holding shield and spear over shoulder; crescent above, mark of value to left.
    R: Three citizens voting on comitium: one voter receives ballot from attendant below, another voter places ballot in cista; [P] on tablet above bar.
    Rome Mint
    17mm
    3.3g
    Crawford 292/1, Sydenham 548; Licinia 7

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice addition ya' have there Mat. Umm, how cheap enough was it for you to get it? :D

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I like Republicans and do not have this one but am quickly developing a bad attitude about them. Compared to some other coins, it seems that there is more online sources dedicated to identification and not much else. I'm failing to find sites that would guide a new collector, explain the mint system or any details other than what the Crawford number is. Perhaps the point is that you should not collect these unless you are willing to buy Crawford and he explains everything so well that no one else feels the need. I'm concerned that spending nearly $500 on the book would produce just another way of determining what the Crawford number is. There is no area of ancient coins with more photos of more different specimens online (British Museum, ANS). Does anyone have suggestions for online resources or books that are not just ID catalogs and are not considered out of date (in other words before the revision by Crawford). I have the Harlan book on 81-64 BC and enjoyed it but am at a loss for most of the rest. I seems easier to find out about the historical ancestors shown on the coins than about the period that produced the coins. The Harlan book got rather negative reviews on Forvm but I failed to see suggestions for better answers.

Recently we have seen a number of fake Republicans. Some are obvious to me and some not so much. Finding information on these other than statements like they are obvious to anyone who has handled real coins has not been productive. Hints appreciated. Does anyone have a favorite online resource?

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...epublican_coins/roman_republican_coinage.aspx

http://numismatics.org/chrr/search

I found both hard to use. but typing in the URL
    http://numismatics.org/crro/id/rrc-307.1a substituting your desired Crawford number for my 307 worked. Note you change the / in a Crawford number to a period for this.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I would like to have one of this issue. I think Steve has one. Congrats.

Alegandron and stevex6 like this.
  6. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

This coin is definitely on my wish list. I made the reverse of steve's into a jigsaw, with luck he will post it.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I have begun focusing my collection on Republican and Imperatorial coins and have had similar experiences, Doug. I do not own a copy of Crawford and I really can't bring myself to spend $500 on it at the moment. I've mostly been relying on previews of Crawford(Google books has multiple copies listed and each one has a different set of pages in the preview, it is inefficient but free), information from auction listings, sites like Andrew McCabe's and posts on sites like Cointalk and Forvm. I wish there were better free sources of information like the plethora that exist for Imperial coins, but I have yet to find them. I may end up having to pony up the cash for a copy of Crawford but I haven't quite given up yet.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Awesome addition Mat with a neat reverse.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks for the comments David & everyone else.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Super-cool pickup, Mat ... you rock

Ummmm, I do have a pretty sweet example of that bad-boy ...

p nerva.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

... thanks for remembering it (yah, I love this coin)

12. Bing

I told you he had one.

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I think we should trade. Mine has had alot of love, yours doesn't. Seems only fair!:kiss::kiss:

stevex6 likes this.
  14. Bing

I agree!!!!:wacky::wacky::wacky:

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Great coin Mat---I LOVE that reverse...naturally Steve has one I love as much LOL

Thanks for the links Doug---I always like to have more sources for referrals on RR coins since I'm always in the market for them and bidding on two at the moment..

Well, it's settled---Steve should trade with Mat while Bing and I share the 'finders fees':shifty::rolleyes::D

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Steve and Mat...I love those coins! Sometimes the well-worn coin is so cool because of all the hands that touched them so many years ago...and what / why they were spending the coin!

I am just starting on this quest of amassing Roman Republicans. I have studied a lot of ancient histories since childhood. However, I kept coming back to the Roman Republic. I love them because of the true history the Republic represents. Everyone seems to know the Empire, but it was the struggles, the mistakes, the learning, the reinvention of government, the people, the pure tenacity, the innovations, their military, their audacity, and their SUCCESS, etc. of the Republic that culminated into the Empire. Just an amazing human experience and accomplishment!

The RR coins that I am very fortunate and blessed to have are august place-markers in their history. I usually try to understand the time period and go to my history books and references well before I look at my coin sites or coin books. It is the historical time frame that couches the coin and why the coin was struck that is more fascinating to me. Just love it!

Mat and Orfew like this.
  17. Alegandron

Would love to acquire a Crawford book though! But the price is steep! I could enjoy another coin or 2 at that $500 price... Hey, my Birthday is FRIDAY!!! :) :) :)

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It one that I was tempted to get too. Cool addition!

19. Alegandron

red_spork: WOW, THANK YOU for the lead. I have read a few of Crawford's books, but I never thought to use Google Books like you describe! Fumbled around and see exactly what you are suggesting. GREAT idea...at least getting some information, albeit in bits and pieces.

red_spork likes this.
  20. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Interesting pickup Mat. One of Brian's coins?

21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup.

Draft saved Draft deleted