New Roman Empress & Denar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Its been a few months since I bought a roman empress denarii so I was looking to get another, especially on the slightly more scarce scale. It was between Lucilla & Crispina. There were several I had bid on and shopped for but they were either sold already due to mis-labeling or too much for what I wanted to pay.

Finally found one I am happy with & the denar was a random pick-up. I loved the toning and details. Couldnt get it much cheaper then I did too.

This will probably be my last ancient for the next 2 months as other commitments & birthdays are on the horizon and that skims off alot of my coin budget.

[​IMG]
    Ferdinand I (1526-1564)
    Hungary Denar
    O: *FERDINAND·D·G·R·VNG·1536
    R: *PATRONA·-·VNGARIE
    15mm
    0.6gms

[​IMG]
    Lucilla (Rome Mint 164-183 AD)
    AR Silver Denarius
    O: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F Laureate head right
    R: CONCORDIA Concordia enthroned left, holding patera and resting elbow on statue of Spes.
    Rome Mint 164-183 AD
    R RIC III 759
    18mm 3.42gms

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Cool additions. That hungary coin is cool, there are tons of varieties in that series, and the series is very affordable, probably the most affordable medieval silver around.

Empresses are always tough too, probably 100 times rarer than the emperors.

4. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Nice one Mat. Here are 3 Hapsburg Ferdenand I. :smile
    IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0184.jpg

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice ones Ripley. They are cool little pieces. Would love to aquire more in time especially as mentioned, cheap.

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Your Lucilla looks just grand. I missed that, when I first looked. Congrads, a keeper fer sure.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks, it may have some honest wear but in-hand its got a light rose toning to it. Couldnt see $160-$200 for a better condition one. Plus this was the portrait style I liked over the other I have seen.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice portrait on the Denarius. I like the Hugarian denars too ( well enough to get just one :) ) Cool additions!

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Didnt know you had one, just checked it out. Surprised you dont get any more. Im thinking of dong so in time.

10. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Beautiful Lucilla coin Mat and I love the denar, great shape, I love how those are dated too. Beautiful Madonna and child.

Randy, I didn't know you had a denar either.

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I just never really got into them.

Maximillion II 1575

Attached Files:

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Holy Roman Empress Maria Theresa 1744. :eek:
    IMG_9772.jpg IMG_9773.jpg

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

14. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Yeah, Ripley that is one gorgeous coin, one of my favorites of yours, I love the obv and rev, and have wanted one like it for years, since before I started collecting Roman coins, so at least 6+ years... yours is especially nice.

15. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Yep Rex I purchased it from an auction in Serbia. I have been dealing with Petar there for about a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted