New raw gold from the Ebay minefield, will it grade mint state?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mill rat41, Dec 31, 2009.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I got some money for Christmas and decided to add a $5 liberty to my collection. Before I decide to keep it, I'd like your opinions. The fields are pretty clean, and the luster is good. I can't decide if there is wear on the forehead or not. Sorry for the cummy reverse pic, but it shows the luster well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

4. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I would have to say it's mint state, but no higher than a 61. Just too many nicks and scratches to go any higher, but it appears to be a nicely struck coin with decent luster.

5. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I just checked out the PCGS photograde site, and am leaning towards AU55-58. On mine the top of the bun of her hair is pretty flat - compared to the MS coins. Also, the MS coins have crisper detail in the hair around the coronet.

6. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I guess with the flash glare, I missed the slight wear, It is a beautiful coin, however. I'd be proud to have it in my collection!

7. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

Looks filed. Don't forget to check the third side of your coin before deciding.

8. CC20gold

CC20gold Junior Member

You have more guts than I do. I won't touch pre-1933 US gold unless it is in a PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG holder.

9. HULL COINS

HULL COINS Member

I second CC20gold except I don't even touch IGC or ANACS

10. HULL COINS

HULL COINS Member

anybody else feel it is to good to be true? It doesn't look all together.

11. ahearn

ahearn Member

How's the weight? About 8.36 grams?

Reason I ask is that I have some beautiful Chinese replicas that look good in every way -- but are only about half the real weight.

12. HULL COINS

HULL COINS Member

yea I was wondering that as well

13. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

Often times numismatic gold pieces were made in middle eastern areas in the 1960's and contain the proper alloy of gold and meet mint specifications (They would sometimes melt several $20 gold pieces down, geniune ones, to make more numismatic valued coins (compared to their intrinsic value) such as gold dollars.

Buying a gold coin raw from ebay, especially pre 33 is like playing russian roulette, its really a gamble. Having said that the coin does appear geniune however there are also some very deceptive counterfeits around. I would send it into NGC or PCGS for authentication.

I would also recommend only to buy raw gold from a reputable dealer sight-seen, that way you can examine the coin yourself. I've bought raw gold from reputable dealers before (sight seen) and turned out OK.

Hope this helps
    Kevin

14. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

The weight seems about right - as compared to a $25 modern gold coin (about half the weight, though I don't have a scale).

15. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

What do you mean by this, that someone filed down the edges to smooth out some rim nicks?

I would say however, that the reeding isn't quite as "sharp" as I was expecting.

16. CC20gold

CC20gold Junior Member

I hear you. I think I have 2 ANACS in the whole collection. ANACS and ICG are good for authentication services, but their grading is a bit off, IMHO.

17. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Well, I took the coin to a local shop and all there examined it. The general concensus was au55-58 possilbly lightly cleaned or whizzed. The coin is going back. I guess I will have to buy one of these in a slab - I like to find a nice one and have them slabbed myself though.

I see a lot of ads in Coin World for "premium quality uncirulated" raw gold for an enticing price. But I'm guessing these are more of the same.

18. Jesh

Jesh New Member

Plenty of nice ones up for sale on Heritage. Take a look, FUN is soon!!

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I've attached an image for your reference. The obverse has bag marks on the face, neck, and appreciably in the field, with uneven luster, spots in field. It is PCGS certified MS62, and available Ppd at current
    C.D.N. "raw ask price" of $510.

Attached Files:

20. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I've attached an image for your reference. The obverse has minimal light bag marks, with virtually none outside of field, with beautiful even "cartwheel" luster, one edge spot at 3 o'clock. It is NGC certified MS61, and available Ppd at current "raw ask price" of $475.

Attached Files:

21. plabkid

plabkid noob

You can always take a look at APMEX as they have bulk raw gold for sale there in various grading ranges. Their return policy is very forgiving, and honestly the prices there are many times better than "deals" on eBay. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I've been there before too :(

Draft saved Draft deleted