New Quiz. Marks on coins.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Ended.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    RonSanderson and longshot like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You really are serious with this? :)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Dentile impressions on the chin and bag marks under

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't see a chin. I see a jaw line.

6. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Roller marks on cheek from minting process.

Penny Luster likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

That is debris from the separation of the Mercury capsule from the rocket.

1878-S Morgan
    Space Capsule on 78-S Morgan.jpg

ksparrow, Beefer518, Paddy54 and 2 others like this.
  8. Insider

cpm9ball, posted: "I don't see a chin. I see a jaw line."

:rolleyes: Call it whatever you wish. :spitoutdummy: Do you wish to take a guess? :kiss::kiss:

9. Kentucky

An arrow showing the way to San Jose
    IMG_4620.JPG

CoinCorgi and Penny Luster like this.
  10. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Zits and pollen in the air?

Penny Luster likes this.
  11. Insider

Nope, but you can keep jerking around in this thread to get more likes from the peanut gallery.

BTW, I recommend you join the NGC forum too. They can sure use nonsense posts to enliven the dead space.

Mainebill likes this.
  12. Insider

13. Kentucky

Did you have your sense of humor removed? :inpain:

Paddy54 and CoinCorgi like this.
  14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think I know the answer to this question, but are we allowed to know what type of coin this is?

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Insider, I know you like colors so I circled what I see:

Red: deep marks in random patterns, most likely contact marks (bag marks, etc - normal hits)
    Orange: thin, whispy long lines, most likely from polishing, a wipe, or potentially cleaning (need to see the rest of the coin to confirm)
    Purple: deep marks in what appears to be a regular pattern. Could be dentil marks (reed marks) from contact with another coin.
    Pink: Long, thin, straight, regular lines. Potentially roller marks.
    Blue: short, intermittent parallel marks. I'll be honest, I'm stumped on this one. Perhaps seeing more of the coin might help.
    Green: very small, random pattern, scattered across the surface of the coin. Three thoughts on this one, would need to see the rest of the coin and luster to confirm. First, and most likely thought, is some sort of planchet flaw. I've seen the fields of coins where it looked like the planchets had been very roughly tumbled but not polished, and the force of striking didn't completely removed the roughness. It could also be something raised on the surface of the die - pimples from die rust that hadn't been removed. Depending on the mint, rust was a common issue. Third thought, it could be where some corrosion was starting to form on the surface of the coin, eating into it, and the corrosion was removed. I think this is the least likely, because it looks like contact marks are over the top of this area - removal of corrosion indicates it was conserved, and I would hope that a collector would not then cause a huge mark like that.

Well, I'm hoping I got at least some of them right!

IMG_4620.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Penna_Boy and RonSanderson like this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

He said in the OP that it's a Morgan.

If it were a gold coin, my answer would be quite different for one of them (the marks in the green circle look like "sweat marks" I've seen on gold coins, where a few coins are put in a bag and shaken to knock of micro bits of gold, and then that's collected and the coins are returned to circulation. The gold dust is profit). As far as I know, I don't think I've seen silver coins subjected to that.

17. physics-fan3.14

He's trying to post a useful, informative thread with a serious question intended to educate. He got a bunch of goof posts with no useful discussion or information.

No, he didn't loose his sense of humor. He lost his patience because he felt like he was wasting his time.

At least, if I posted a thread like this and got responses like that, that's how I'd feel.

18. cpm9ball

I don't care about earning the Likes. People give them to whomever they choose.

I don't care to take a guess because most of your little quizzes are of little help to the vast majority of people asking about oddball errors such as road rash, vice jobs, machine doubling, die deterioration, etc. Why don't you try to help those people?

You, suggesting that I join NGC? That's a trip! Your suggestions are meaningless. I tried that once before, and you see where that got me.

19. Kentucky

upload_2020-9-28_14-33-20.png

Wow, when did you gain the ability to do this??!!

Seriously, you only posted a very small portion of a coin and REALLY expect serious answers. The marks look to me like random circulation marks.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Seemed to me as if he were being petulant. You did give a serious answer, but as far as I could tell, it was pretty much that the "marks" could be random chatter. Is it wrong to ask for a poster to be more serious with his postings.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  21. physics-fan3.14

Then this is exactly the sort of thread you should pay attention to and learn, instead of derailing it with silly jokes. We have a General Discussion forum for that.

I thought he was quite serious. And, I'll bet there's a lot of useful information you could have learned from this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted