New purchase

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Goldee, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Goldee

Goldee Supporter! Supporter

bought these from a young man. I know almost nothing about them. Paid $20. He was thrilled and I felt it was an ok deal. Would be interested in kindly feedback if I screwed up. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Travlntiques likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I dont think I can find a 1797 even in that condition for 20 bucks!

Goldee likes this.
  4. Goldee

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You dun good

Goldee likes this.
  6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

that looks to be a S-120(b) 1797 large cent (reverse of 1795), worth way more than $20 all by itself. Nice pickup.

Goldee likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I can confirm the S-120 and believe I see a gripped edge which would make it a S-120b. I believe you got a good price, but not enough to feel you ripped him off.

I don't know about fractional currency prices, but they usually have little value with holes. I think it adds character.

Congratulations.

Goldee likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice pick ups, what strikes me is the fractional note, yeah it's holed ,but...... take a close look. The quality of the paper it was printed on as worn as it is the paper quality is unreal. Look at the rag fibers in the note. Two very cool pick ups and a great price.

Goldee likes this.
  9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice pickup.

Goldee likes this.
  10. Goldee

Thanks. Via my books it is a 1795 reverse with gripped edge. I feel much better. It is my first currency. I wouldn't have bought because of the holes but the young man was nice, holding a baby and obviously needed the money. The baby was so cute and sweet.

John McRaney and Marshall like this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and he was a stranger in the park?

probably a thief

Goldee and carpman98 like this.
  12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

The fractional note is a nice piece of US history , pictured is secretary of war Edwin Stanton under Lincoln , during the civil war. signed by Allison (left) and General Francis Spinner US treasurer and inventor of the fractional currency. His signature is famous and adds value on other US banknotes of that period.
    Your note is the fourth issue (1869-1875) cat number Friedberg 1376.
    silkfibers in the paper were used against counterfeiting.
    a rare note that commands high prices in Uncirculated condition.
    a keeper imho.

Goldee, Paddy54 and Nathan401 like this.
  13. John McRaney

John McRaney New Member

Back in the day I knew two different people. They would rent someone elses kid, go beg for money (both had crutches). Be careful when helping out strangers. Do not stop but be careful. John

Goldee likes this.
  14. Goldee

The young man responded to an add I put in local paper. Met him today and bought a few more coins. The coins were his grandfathers.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now how do you know that for a fact? They could have been his grandmother's, in which case they wouldn't be worth $20. :D

Goldee likes this.
  16. Goldee

I didn't follow him home, go to the grandfathers gravesite or take a lie detector test but I didn't catch him in any lies. I have no reason to doubt him.

Another guy who answered the same ad was strange, lied and tried to mislead me. I didn't buy a thing, shook his hand and left. I think he obtained all of his coins from an arcade business. Beat up, bent, marked coins plus arcade type equipment around the room was a big clue. Kept telling me his coins were uncirculated. Ha. Wanted 10cents for crummy wheat pennies.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Careful. Meeting a stranger to conduct coin transactions is dangerous business. A couple of weeks ago, a troll pretending to know something about coins solicited me to meet him and examine a worthless coin he had. No way!

I suspect that might have been his purpose in joining the site in the first place: set up someone for a robbery.

Goldee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted