New Purchase. Owl Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NLL, Sep 3, 2019.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago I had bought an owl Tetradrachm that turned out to apparently be a fake which I’m currently in the return process. I was really disappointed so I was looking for a replacement for the fake and found this coin which I’m fairly certain is genuine. FAFBA889-3C29-4E27-AEAD-FB8C3C01B50E.jpeg 6ECC27F2-496A-4CEB-B2ED-0CE87A20862B.jpeg 176B524E-5C59-4A0C-96FB-F4873C884E45.jpeg 9947F732-32F7-4562-A14D-608BE8061DF2.jpeg 61075B7E-5CBA-47A6-BC19-37FBD70FFFA1.jpeg A234BD45-8336-4AA3-B227-B480AA270A91.jpeg 3CA64FF5-96F6-4B88-AB8C-9A8E3416F53E.jpeg Any thoughts and comments are welcome especially on authenticity. Please post pictures of your owl tets or anything owl related!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Attica, Athens
    AR tetradrachm
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev: Owl standing right, head facing, olive sprig to left, crescent behind, AΘE to right, all within incuse square
    Date: 454-404 BC
    Ref: SNG Copenhagen 31
    Size: 17.19g, 24mm

[​IMG]

Finn235, dadams, TIF and 11 others like this.
  4. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Owl club, @NLL!

Although the style of your coin looks a bit unusual to me, I cannot offer any qualified thoughts on authenticity. Owl tetradrachms come in so many authentic varieties and are also faked so often and so expertly that I personally would refrain from buying one that doesn't come from a fully reliable dealer and with a lifetime guarantee of authenticity.

Here is my own humble example:
    Magna Graecia – Attica, Athen, tetradrachme.png
    Attica, Athens, AR tetradrachm, ca. 440s–430s BC. Obv: head of Athena to right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with three olive leaves and palmette. Rev: AΘE; Owl standing right, head facing; to left, olive sprig and crescent; all within incuse square. 24mm, 17.14g. Ref: Kroll 8. Ex Leu, Webauktion 8, lot 232.

dadams, TIF, Andres2 and 11 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

This one of my favorites.

The ancient bankers’ marks assure they are real. And, some of those marks are slammed into Athena’s face. No Greek would EVER want to tick off the Goddess Athena! (Greeks outside Athens had no problem slamming the owl between the eyes just to insult Athens.)

So, the Tet was further scrutinized by folks OUTSIDE the Greek World, ( Persia? India? Carthage?) Lotsa folks passed this one on as real. Kinda cool. I love the History of the coin’s transactional trail.

[​IMG]
    Athens Owl 16.8g 22x6-5mm Late Classical 393-300 BC, Sear 2537, SNG Cop. 63

6. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

With my limited knowledge, I had the same thought. If it is a good piece just remember that there are a ton of these on the market right now. If you don't like this one another one or a dozen will come along soon.

ATTICA, Athens. Circa 454-404 BC. AR Tetradrachm (24mm, 17.00 g, 8h). Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye / Owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig and crescent to left; all within incuse square. Kroll 8; HGC 4, 1597. VF, toned, bankers’ marks, graffiti.

Greece-Athens 45402.jpg Greece-Athens 45403.jpg

dadams, TIF, happy_collector and 9 others like this.
  7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

There surely are many choices these days on Owl tetradrachms. A recent search in Heritage results in more than 160 upcoming examples.

Here is my humble owl... 455-440 BC. 17.10 gram. 23mm. Starr Group V.A, series 2. HGC 4, 1597.
    zzz-Athena07s.jpg

dadams, Bing, Chris B and 5 others like this.
  8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Athens tetradrachm 392-380 B.C. Obv Head of Athena with eye in profile Rv Owl standing right HGC 1598 17.12 grms 23 mm I usually refer to this coin as the "Doll Face" athens10.jpg It has is generally thought that large scale production of good silver Athenian tetradrchms ended even before Athens surrendered to Sparta ending the Peloponnesian War in 404 B.C. Thus this issue represents the first large scale production of "owls" in over 12 years. Despite its obvious nod to modernity the profile eye on Athena, this coinage is still very much a throwback to an earlier coinage

Finn235, dadams, Bing and 9 others like this.
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

NLL, Where did you buy that Owl , and what is the weight / diameter ?

P1220734.JPG

dadams, Stevearino, Chris B and 3 others like this.
  10. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Good point. The allies of Sparta in the Peloponnesian War would not mind doing a facelift on Athena. I would like to think it was captured and defaced by Syracusans who must have picked up quite a few of these, courtesy of Alcibiades.

philologus_1 and Alegandron like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Looks OK to me though I'm no expert on these Athens' owls.

12. Silverlock

Silverlock Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth, the style looks off to me, particularly the obverse. I’d personally hesitate to attribute it as a classical Athens. That says nothing about authenticity. Many contemporary states issued their own homages of the owl, particularly along the eastern Mediterranean, with subtle stylistic variations. Some were even minted using Athenian silver. I’m not familiar enough with those offerings to venture an opinion on this coin.

Especially for owls and similar frequently faked coins, who you buy it from should be paramount.

Chris B likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted