New Purchase NGC 1916-D dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnny54321, May 14, 2010.

1. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

Just purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150441057289&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

. I was considering buying a G-6 at one point, but multiple folks gave me the advice to wait and purchase at least a VG-8 examples since they start getting much more rare in that grade.

Anyways, looking back through Heritage auctions I havent seen a problem free VG merc go for under $1,300 and change. I'd been looking a while for this date, and this one is very solid for the grade, and undoubtedly original and crusty. The main draw is the strength of the reverse detail, and full rims. My only concern is what appears to be a light scratch on the chin. I can return it if it is too distracting. The sellers pics are a little dark, so I turned the brightness up here.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Very nice one :)

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

8 just ain't bad :D

6. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I think you'll be much happier with a VG coin in the long run than you would have been with a G.

Congrats.

7. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

8. johnny54321

Yeah, I'm not too sure about that mark. It may be really light or just be a scratch on the slab, or it may be worse. I'll know more when I get it in hand. As far as the "look" is concerned, it is exactly the look that I'm going for. Nice and crusty...:D

9. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

The crust looks like a "smoke job" to me, and I don't like the light streak on the reverse. You will know more when you have it "in hand".

10. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

Not sure how many resubmissions there are, but price seem very high for population compared to other key dates for high grade coins.

11. johnny54321

The vast majority of 16-ds out there are FR2-G4. There are dozens of those on ebay all the time, yet even FR2 will usually bring at least $400. The price in these grades is based on demand. Higher grade coins are tougher to find and expensive. There are many folks out there just trying to complete the set, so the lower grades are quite strong despite the high population.

$1244 is actually the lowest I've seen a top tier problem free vg-8 go for in quite a while. My theory is that most people are loading up on precious metals, so some of the midrange numismatic coins are suffering in value. The demand has dropped somewhat.

12. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

The "smoke job" is a lighting artifact due to manipulating an image, the sellers pics are dark, but show a better representation of the actual surface. I think you will find more dove gray on the coin, than you will brown.

I think it would have passed the nicotine smell test at NGC

Happy Collecting

13. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I like it for an 8, and the price was fair.

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Looks nice to me, be sure to follow-up once you receive it

15. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

solid 8. i have a feeling those noted marks are on the slab to.

16. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

great pickup!!! You cant go wrong with this coin………I highly doubt the value will ever go down

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I bet it was worth waiting and the purchasing the better coin now, wasn't it?

18. johnny54321

If this coin is anything like the pictures, it will definitely be worth it! It is also nice to know that they are much more difficult to find at this grade level. Do you think it would have a chance at a CAC sticker? I do think the reverse is strong compared to most 16-ds at this grade level.. I appreciate all of your sound advice on the previous thread.

19. PaulvanBuuren

PaulvanBuuren Junior Member

Nice ))

But I would buy Gold Eagle for that price... Definately an outcome would be better ))

20. Duke Kavanaugh

I asume your speaking financially like on a ROI. Well not all of us collect based on ROI.

Plus I'm not sure that a 16D won't out pass Gold Bullion.

21. Duke Kavanaugh

Draft saved Draft deleted