New Post - 1793 Flowing Hair - worth slabbing/conserving?...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by AtlantaMan, May 27, 2024.

1. AtlantaMan

AtlantaMan Member

After some discussion, responders suggested my original photos were not the greatest, so here is the best I can do (below), and I repeat the description with my original questions for the greater Coin Talk audience.

I have a 1793 flowing hair, wreath reverse, vine & bars edge, large one cent. If I study the obverse under magnification for a couple of minutes, I can make out the remnants of a 1, 7 and 3, but the 9 seems to be totally obliterated. I clearly see the sprig, the face, the hair and "LIBERTY." The reverse is in pretty good shape given its age. I think the grading services probably would say its "environmentally damaged." Oh well. As far as I can tell by looking at various auctions and such, it's about an 8 on the Sheldon Scale. That's my amateurish opinion, that's it.
    Questions:
    1) What do you think the grade would be?
    2) I think this is worth "slabbing," but should I also get NCS to "conserve" it?
    Thanks!!
    V2 - 1793  Flowing Hair Cent-Obverse-Vine and Bars.jpg
    V2 - 1793 Flowing Hair Cent-Wreath Reverse-Vine and Bars.jpg

masterswimmer and mrweaseluv like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I still vote "too far gone" . . .

Might be okay for a type set hole filler, if determined genuine. That would be the only reason for having it evaluated by a TPG. Conservation won't add any value in my opinion.

Z

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Waaaaaaaaaay past conservation, you can hope for conformation though. Good luck

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I still say you would be wasting your money.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I would like to have one if it' at least a 60mph pitch.

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

There could be some advantage if it were certified as genuine. As for conservation, there is nothing left to conserve. The metal is gone. You can’t improve it. I image that the TPG conservation services would tell you that.

Kentucky and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'll give it a PR1, the lowest grade. Enjoy its history or sell it for a better coin. My advice. Good luck.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Conservation won't help that one. But the historical value of that piece absolutely merits a "genuine" TPG slab.

10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Actually Sheldon had a grade that was below Poor-1. It was for badly corroded pieces that were barely recognizable. The value was half his basal state number.

For those who are not familiar with the system, Sheldon had basal state prices for each die variety in his book. You multiplied the basal state value by the grading number to get the value of the piece. Therefore a VF-20 with a basal value of $1 was worth $20.

The system never really worked, but that didn’t stop some EAC members from coming up with “revised basal values” from time to time.

Kentucky and SensibleSal66 like this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Send it to ICG or ANACS to get it in a slab, not a huge cost, and it sounds like you want it in plastic. So I say go for it.

ZoidMeister and Kentucky like this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The reverse doesn't look too bad. But there's no way to conserve the obverse.
    There's nothing you can do for this coin. Wish I had a 1793 flowing hair.
    The grade would be corroded.

Cheech9712 and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. AtlantaMan

AtlantaMan Member

Thanks to all for the great advice and direction! I didn't realize that the "metal was gone," so no conservation, but I will take advantage of the ICG "CoinTalk Special!"

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Ya keep it. We all want one too!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted