New Platinum Eagle Proof 1 oz coin program series 2018-2020 Designs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Blissskr, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-r...nces-new-one-ounce-platinum-proof-coin-series

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'The United States Mint announced today that it is launching a three-year platinum proof coin series starting in 2018 and continuing through 2020. The three-year program, titled “Preamble to the Declaration of Independence Platinum Proof Coin Series,” will feature newly-designed one ounce proof coins struck in 99.95 percent platinum.'

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Here's where I call it first: one of the "Pursuit of Happiness" designs will involve chasing Pokemons.

rooman9 likes this.
  4. Blissskr

If the CCAC got a hold of them maybe lol. I'm pretty sure the designs shown are the ones they'll be using at least for the 2018 I'm certain as there's another press release showing that design as well.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I love how the early American settlers wore Greco-Roman togas.

Nathan401, mynamespat and baseball21 like this.
  6. Blissskr

7. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

nice, very nice.

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Yup, I like them. Hopefully they will limit the mintage, so they don't completely flop.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lol and carried a sword. What a terrible job they did with these

Kentucky likes this.
  10. -jeffB

Right, let's update it to show Liberty carrying a flintlock. And while we're at it, let's replace that silly torch on the Statue of Liberty with a nice, practical LED lantern.

11. baseball21

The liberty one is the only one that makes any sense being a play on the actual statue, the rope belt is still kind of weird there but that one makes sense at least. The other two look like they had some stock images they just slapped in there or time travelers that got lost

12. -jeffB

I don't know -- classical garb for classical archetypes suits me just fine. I find plenty to complain about in most Mint designs, but I like this style.

Blissskr and baseball21 like this.
  13. baseball21

I think it's pretty and like that style a lot as well, but it just seems to out of place for me. If those images had different backgrounds and context I would be the first in line to buy

14. Blissskr

I really hope they change the first 's' in Happiness to match the second as who knows what's going on there looks more like Happinefs. In fact I hope they change the whole thing as the p's are awful weird also. The knee bulge is strange on 2019 also, not sure how well that would translate to the coin lol. Overall though I like the attempt at making things more 'classical'.

15. Blissskr

I think they could do away with the oxen and wagon on 2019 and the building & silo on 2020 and the coins would probably look better.

16. baseball21

I agree. They have a really weird mix of proper scenery and time traveler people. If it was just the people and nature it would look much better

17. Coin Talk User

Coin Talk User New Member

They are politically correct designs and unappealing to me. At least it should make the older stuff more valuable.

18. -jeffB

o_O

Figurative Liberty has been on US coins for centuries. What are you on about?

19. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

fyp

20. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I thought it looked really weird so, so I looked up what it looked like on the declaration of independence, and they copied it exactly. They could change it to look more like an S, but I like that it looks just like the real thing did.

-jeffB and Blissskr like this.
  21. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I know the calligraphy of “Happiness” etc is taken from the Declaration, but out of context it looks a bit Hallmark card. I’m seeing these things colorized, with a chip inside that plays “Yankee Doodle.”

Draft saved Draft deleted