New Pickups

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seattlite86, Oct 19, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I would agree it was a nice buy, my comment was not meant to indicate that his pick-up was not good. Only that I would have passed on it and as to why I would have passed. Now if I was stacking right now, that would have been a great pick-up in my book.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Well, my goal is to flip these. I bought these with my investment funds and not with my coin budget. Hopefully, I'll be able to flip them for a small profit, or at least break even and get to keep some of the coins (Colombian). I hope to be able to report at least an even break here soon.

As far as preservation, the Colombian half has a little bit of gunk on it that requires an acetone bath to get it off. Cleaning/preserving, call it what you want, but I don't like the gunk and I'd like to get rid of it.

So in short, no, this collection does not contribute to my collection goals. It contributes to my having more money goals. I believe I can make more money off these coins than I purchased so I bought them. It just so happens that I'm considering keeping one of them, but that is a side issue. I believe this was a reasonable purchase and will bring in a bit of cash, if only a few dollars.

I do appreciate your input, even if I don't exactly agree. You asked important questions and I promise I thought them over before this purchase. This was purely a monetary effort and I believe I will be rewarded. Time will tell. I'll be sure to post here if/when it happens.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

4. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I like the spooned/dryer dime.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yeah, no kidding...

The guy bought something, didn't jack the seller, and left enough meat left on the bone to make a few bucks yet catches slack for it. One can say that there wasn't enough profit to be made (roll eyes here), but that type of thought is why some either fail, or simply fail to succeed as much as they otherwise would in this business. Without much effort the OP can bring in a perfectly reasonable return on his investment, and do so very quickly. That's not only good but smart business.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Will the acetone take the paint off of the quarter?

:)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Tempting, haha. Hopefully circulation will take care of it.

8. Seattlite86

I wouldn't stress it too much. Everyone has different concepts of success and good purchases. All opinions are welcome as they are just that: opinions. I hope to sell it on eBay for a reasonable amount and then walk away with a couple extra bucks.

9. BooksB4Coins

Stress? No, but I did find it to be ridiculous. Everyone may have different "concepts", and they're certainly welcome to do as they please, but that doesn't make them right by a long shot. It's true that high expectations are often why people either fail or are less successful than they otherwise would be with coins. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've listened to someone whine about how they "have" to make this or that instead of simply putting their money to work for them. Larger profit deals are certainly great, but if you always swing for the fences, you're going to strike out an awful lot of the time...

It was a fair and intelligent buy on your part. The seller shouldn't feel taken advantage of (which, if an in person deal, can be a very good thing possibly leading to others) and you left yourself a fair and reasonable profit on very liquid material. Unless one is working with every cent available to them (and even then), such buys are an undeniable win win.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Good luck! I hope you do well with it. I'm glad you thought it through, and I really do hope you have success.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

While I wait on that eBay posting to sell, here's my next conundrum: I can't seem to find my Acetone anywhere... @green18 would you just put this in a 2x2 and leave that gunk there? I just can't bring myself to do it...

IMG_7371.JPG IMG_7373.JPG

green18 likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:jawdrop: Would that be a Doubled Die Reverse or MD? :wacky:
    Or Double Struck 2nd Strike Rotated!
    Color.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Cascade and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

An acetone soak wouldn't hurt it. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

It strikes me has having been there for a while, so waiting until you find or buy more acetone isn't likely to be the end of the world... I'm certainly not suggesting to leave as-is permanently, but don't stress to much about not being able to soak it this very second.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

Yes, I agree, but I have about 6 months until I move out of country and then the coin goes into storage for a few years until I return. I want to take care of this, and I also want to know where I put that darn acetone...

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck, just pick some at Home Depot when you're next in town. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. Seattlite86

Haha, I could actually walk to one (probably job) if I really wanted to. I might have to if I can't find it, but that means less funds in the coin budget! :arghh:

18. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Very nice! It sounds like you are pretty sure you can flip and make a profit which is great!

Personally I'm not sure I'd want all the hassle for a $10 profit. That will include multiple eBay listings and a lot of time. But hey, if you enjoy it and it's not really "work" why not?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Seattlite86

Yes, it's a bit of hassle and I might not be able to sell it today. At the end of the day, I have silver instead of play US money and if snapping a couple of photos and typing some letters can get me $10, why not?

green18 likes this.
  20. BooksB4Coins

Unless you live somewhere beyond BFE, you could most certainly, and without great difficulty, pull at least that $10 profit offering in person.

I have to stop reading this thread... ;)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Very nice pickup.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted