New Pickups

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seattlite86, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I purchased these coins today from a gentleman for $40.00. I was actually worried about the color of the 1922-S Peace Dollar but the weight turned out to be just fine. Sadly, it has a scratch or something on the face. Probably from when the gentleman put them in his pocket to bring them to sell (I admit I cringed when I saw him pull them out). Opinions on the price point and coins always welcome!

IMG_7320.JPG IMG_7321.JPG IMG_7323 - Copy-horz.jpg IMG_7323-horz.jpg

Skyman, NSP, Eric White and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I reckon the Columbian alone should be worth $25+.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

It's in great condition but has some gunk on it. I'll need to give it an acetone bath. I HATE cleaning/preserving coins so I am going to wait until I get some distilled water to clean off any residue.

5. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just run them under warm tap water after the acetone and Pat dry. Were not talking big money Coins. Nice little buy

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

I'm actually tempted to keep that Columbian Half as I think it's better than the one I own. I had intended to flip these coins for a small profit.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice catch ,the Columbian leave as is nice looking coin. The 1921 a bath maybe pvc damage. Like to see a close up of the 1928 date.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

For $40, not bad at all.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'd keep the Columbian, but I'm biased..........:)

charlietig, Paul M. and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Seattlite86

1928? Typo or am I missing something? Nothing is dated 1928, there is a 1926 nickel?

11. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I always cringe at colorized state quarters. So ugly looking.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Those are all average circulated grade coins, and many of them are damaged. The columbian is "worth" $20-$25 (although I doubt you'd net that if you were to try and sell it), the Morgan and Peace are each $13.65 in silver (probably about $15 retail). The dimes are worth melt ($1.27 each). For $40 you theoretically "did well," but you won't make much profit if you attempt to sell them.

Basically, you bought a bunch of junk silver, some pocket change, and a Columbian half. I wouldn't have done it, but if you like it and it furthers your collecting goals, I guess go for it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Me too! That one's going into the coin jar for spending.

Evan8 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

I mostly agree with you, I thought $40 was a very fair price. I do, however, think I could net at least $5-10 off the purchase. That's at least 10% profit, which I wish I could get the same return on my stocks. Worst comes to worst and I have some spare junk silver and broke out at least even. I also really like the Colombian Half Dollar and if I can preserve it, I might just keep it.

15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Tired eyes duh

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Just put that bad boy in some form of minimum containment......a 2x2 or an air tight. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

To explain where I am coming from (and I hope I don't sound like a dick, but I've been accused of that many times before):

For the same $40, my personal preference would be to buy one really nice UNC Morgan, or high quality circulated coin of a different type but equal value. Obviously, you know your collecting goals and the sets you are working on better than I do (I'm assuming you have collecting goals, of course - if not, that's another discussion we probably should have).

Does this purchase contribute to your set or collecting goals?

In general, buying a single nice coin of high quality for the price, with good eye appeal, is going to serve you better in the long run. What are you going to do with the dozen junk coins you just bought? You have an accumulation of old stuff you don't need and a Columbian that you "might just keep" *if* you can "preserve it" (whatever that means).

So ask yourself - what are you trying to accomplish with this purchase? Are you buying coins for an accumulation/hoard? Are you buying them to sell for a profit (which, as I have mentioned is unlikely - or at least not worth the time/effort you will spend for it). Again, not trying to attack you or anything - just trying to offer you a different opinion, explain where I'm coming from, and maybe help you think about things a bit.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

o_O He bought it to flip & make a few bucks. And the Morgan and peace will bring at least $20-22 each. He did well for a small quick flip

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And now he'll have $50-60 to spend on a nice UNC Morgan. :)

Seattlite86 and cooper like this.
  20. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That's how I would think of it. But, personally I would have passed on the deal, but that is just me. I like to have a little more meat on the bone for flipping. ;)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Sure anyone would like to have more meat on the bone for flippin', but any profit is profit, pure and simple. Good enough buy, for sure!

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted