New Pickups From Baltimore

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Mar 2, 2019.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

FFIVN and I stopped by our favorite ancient dealer today and picked out a few new coins. These are the dealer's attributions. I'm not 100% sure on them but since he has decades more experience I am deferring to him. :p Thanks for looking!

Histaea, Euboaea
    3rd Century - 146 BC
    Tetrobol
    Obverse:Head of Maenad, right - Though looking through wildwinds I'm wondering if this is correct
    Reverse: Nymph Histaea, seated right on stern of galley
    Euboea, Histaea 3rd Cent-146 BC Tetrobol.jpg

Ephesos, Ionia
    AE16. 203-333 BC. Menokritos.
    Obverse:E-Φ, bee in wreath
    Reverse: stag grazing right, quiver above, (MHN)OKRIT(OS) in exergue
    Ionia, Esphesus 280-258 BC AE16.jpg

Nero
    AE21 of Miletus, Ionia.
    AD 54-68. 4.56 g. Magistrate Ti. Dama. CEBACTOC
    Obverse: laureate head right
    Reverse: EΠI TI ΔAMA MIΛHCIΩN downwards to left and right of Apollo standing right, holding bow and stag.
    Nero, AE21 of Miletus, Ionia. AD 54-68.jpg

Maximianus,
    Billon Tetradrachm,
    Egypt, Alexandria.
    286-305 AD
    Obverse: Laureate Head Right
    Reverse: Nike standing right, holding wreath
    Maximianus I Hercueus Billon Tetradrachm 286-305 AD Alexandria Egypt.jpg
    I couldn't find this one anywhere and I would like to know more about it if anyone has any good references.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The Alexandrian is going to be tough to call. By the late Provincial period the portraits were generic and the "Nike flying right" type was issued by several of emperors. Your coin's reverse has L Γ across the field so that doesn't narrow it down. You can make out "CEB" at the end of the obverse legend so that emperor was Augustus rather than Caesar.

Maximian is certainly a strong possibility but so is Diocletian. There is a letter blob at ~9:30 on the reverse which is probably an "o", and an "o" in that approximate position in the legend fits both Diocletian and Maximian. I can't discern any other letters with much certainty. I could be wrong about the "o" blob; other possibilities in that case include Numerian and Aurelian.

It's probably Maximian (Emmett 4147, regnal year 3, 287/8 CE / Nike flying right) or Diocletian (Emmett 4064, regnal year 3, 286/7 CE / Nike flying right).

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

Thanks! It is a shame that the legends are so bad on it. I guess that's what you get when you can't afford much and have to stick to the ~15 dollar coins :p

rrdenarius likes this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are some nice additions. I like the nero best.

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice ones! I particularly like the Nero because it has the statue of Apollo Didymeus on the reverse. Nice-looking Nike on that Alexandrian tetradrachm, too.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Cool additions!

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted