New Pickup - Wheat Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, May 28, 2010.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey Guys and Gals!
    For some odd reason I liked this wheat cent and bought it - the pic's don't show it very good, but it does have a nice little toning on both sides.

So what do ya'll think it would grade? It is raw and will stay that way, but just wondering what you would tag on it!

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

EF40 to MS60, hard to tell from the pics, and I'm lousy ate distinguishing the mint states

4. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

39-D is a tough date at least it has been for me. I'm gonna say MS-63 but what's that green speck in the U of trust?

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Speedy and wheat cent. I thought those were mutually contradictory terms.

That is at least a 65 (assuming it is not corroded/PVC). Your pics don't show the luster well. If there is any descent luster it is easily a 66.

6. Speedy

I'll try to get some more pic's here shortly - it does have luster.
    As for Speedy and Wheat Cents...yeah! LOL!! But to tell you the truth, that was one of the first collections I completed - my S VDB and 14D are in VF/F and my 31S is a 64B. I have several UNC's from the early 30's and 40's, but most of what I have in the set is circulated.

I'm not really sure why I bought this coin - my dealer had gotten it in a box of mixed coins someone had sold him and as I was going through it I pulled it out - he didn't have his gray sheet, so I think I got it for $1-$2.

I'm not really sure - I'll check it out and see what it looks like!

Speedy

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

With the little spot of corrosion, I don't think I could grade the coin any higher than 65, and probably 64.

And that's too bad, because the surfaces and luster other than that spot look like a 66 or 67. The rims, for instance, are practically perfect. I see a small tick in O in ONE on the reverse, and another fly speck off the left side of lincoln down by his shoulder and both are minor. Very clean coin -- except for the small spot.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Could this be a project for VERDI-CARE™?

9. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

And that is exactly why I say 63 friends. Furthermore would it grade? Or would it come back "corroded, details MS60" like I just got from ANACS on a proof 64 Buffalo nickel.
    Regardless, it is a beautiful coin and a steal for 2 bux. If it were mine that green spec would be outta there!
    And yes that fly spec to the left of Mr. Lincoln is bothersome. But I wouldn't touch that one.

10. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

A very nice coin despite the speck or two of corrosion. The bottom reverse rim is a touch weak, but overall I see a nice 65...

11. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

I agree with abe although with the corrosion I think it will be around MS-60 IMO. But even so that is a sweet wheat just keep an eye on that corrosion spot.

12. G-man422

G-man422 Member

Nice wheaty. I would say 65.

13. Speedy

Ok, so I'm looking at it with a 10x, and that green spot is there, but shows up way better in the pic' than real life.

What do ya'll suggest I try to do with it? I know not to try Acetone - it's not like I have alot of $$ in this coin, but I would like to "save" it, if possible!

Could be, but then I have no idea how to use it! LOL

Speedy

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice 39-D 4 sure!

15. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

***I'll tell you what I would do but some would frown on it.
    For a two dollar coin it's not a bad idea to try to "conserve" it at home.
    I would take a q-tip and twirl it in my fingers making a better point on one end. Then stick that end in my mouth and wet it with spit- Yup spittle, saliva. Then try to brush off the one spot or at least play with it a bit.
    Sometimes the corrosion is so stubborn this won't touch it.
    Human spittle is a rather complex substance. It contains enzymes and other ingredients that break down organic substances [food]. It coagulates blood.
    If this doesn't change the spot I take a toothpick, barbecue skewer or anything wooden with a pointy tip. Poke it, prod it and try to break the crust. Then try a new q-tip wet with saliva. If none of this works then I try a little bit of Coin Care on just that spot. Let it soak in and re-wet the spot with Coin Care if you need to.
    Then start over again working at it. All you want to do is dull down the intensity of the spot, maybe, but it may not be able to go away totally.
    You must decide at first if you want to take this gamble. And the spot may end up worse looking. It's a risk at best.
    And yes, I think it's a MS64 or can stretch to maybe 65 without a few of the distractions. Nice coin even if you leave it alone.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice one Speedy. Love that color.

17. petro89

petro89 Member

My first thought was a 65 as well.. I really like the color :)

18. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I agree 100% with that. If it cartwheels, definately a 66.

It's a beautiful coin, especially for the money! I'd say you stole that one, congrats.

Can you get a close up of the verdigris?

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Always try distilled water first. Soak it for an hour and gently prod the light corrosion every so often. See if it comes off.

There's nothing wrong with acetone. I've used it on hundreds of Lincolns without a single problem.

20. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Love that color. Beautiful. :thumb:

21. Speedy

sorry I haven't posted the other pic's yet....working at a funeral home, you never know when you will have time to post on a forum! LOL

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted