New Pickup | Mexico 1861 Mo 2 Reales

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by YoloBagels, Sep 8, 2021.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Yesterday evening this arrived in the mail after 2 weeks of waiting (Fedex 2 day shipping).

It's my first serious Mexican coin and will be part of my registry set someday. It's also the most I've spent on a single coin so far, so also a personal record-setter.

Here it is. PCGS MS66, 1861 Mo C.H. two reales.

178821685.jpg

This coin is attributed to the Torres hoard. The hoard was said to consist of 150-175 coins and was completely made up of high MS 1861 Mo-CH 2 reales. PCGS lists 80 of these coins with 25 in MS66, 5 in 67, and one in 67+.

These numbers sound high until you realize how many times these coins have been resubmitted (Two of the three PCGS plate coins are the same coin). Even still, it makes you wonder where the rest of the coins could be.

The majority of coins from the hoard have brown-orange toning. Several pieces, however, exhibit blue rainbow contrast. This coin is one of the most eye-appealing of the hoard in my opinion. It has deep mirror PL fields on the reverse and a strong blue rainbow hue on the obverse. The coins of this hoard appear to be struck in an early die state.

Thanks for reading!
    -Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

So that explains the Instagram flash sale. Regardless that's a lovely coin @YoloBagels, I'd be proud to have it in my own collection

YoloBagels likes this.
  4. YoloBagels

I have a lot more to sell! My printer broke after the flash sale which is why I have not been selling a lot since then. Got another one coming soon. I'm stoked to have this coin for my set, hopefully I'll be able to get more soon.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  5. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin, @YoloBagels. It's one any of us would love to have in our collection.

And thanks for your commentary on the Torres hoard. It's always helpful to get a little history on a coin.

YoloBagels likes this.
  6. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

That made me wonder... If it is confirmed that a coin has been resubmitted, does the old serial number and grade get "voided"? VERY NICE coin by the way!

YoloBagels likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Looks very nice! Congrats on a beautiful pickup!

I've also noticed that there is something special about the 1861 2 Reales as the ones I've seen have all been PL or close to it (then again maybe it's just a small sample size). I used to own one that was NGC MS 65 PL. The next person crossed it to PCGS MS 65 PL and it sold at GC:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...-Mo-CH-Silver-2-Reales-KM-37410-PCGS-MS-65-PL

YoloBagels likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Usually it takes someone sending in the label from the cracked out holder to void the old cert. Also if someone sends a coin in for regrade, then the old number should be removed too. Otherwise the grading companies don't tend to void old cert numbers on their own.

YoloBagels and JeffC like this.
  9. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Thanks!

ddddd likes this.
  10. YoloBagels

It seems like the nearly all of ones graded PL are dipped blast white. They all look PL to my knowledge, I wonder if all of the PCGS PL's are just NGC crossovers.

ddddd likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

It is certainly possible that the blast white ones were dipped when color was out of favor among collectors. And PCGS didn't start giving out PLs until the last few years, so the odds are good those PCGS PLs came from NGC holders.

Draft saved Draft deleted