New Pickup: 1900 Morgan Toner

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Sep 21, 2019.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Good evening, everyone!

Just picked up this 1900 Morgan Dollar at the local flea market, and thought I'd like to hear some feedback on it. The rainbow on the reverse is really nice...but that obverse toning gives me some worries about it having been lightly cleaned and re-toned.

IMHO the coin is borderline AU/MS - but I'd love to hear what you (especially those a bit more familiar with Morgans than I am) think of it in terms of grade, even though it was purchased for the color.

Luster is a lot fuller on the reverse, a bit muted on the obverse but still present all the way around.

I'm including two images with slightly different lighting (hopefully that helps.)

Thanks!

1900 Morgan Dollar 2.jpg

1900 Morgan Dollar.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Most definitely high AU.

I can't tell if it's been cleaned but, no matter, it's beautiful and doesn't look blatantly unnatural, even if the color looks a bit staturated.

Take comfort in knowing that, like you, at least one other of us would have bought it as well.

chascat and stldanceartist like this.
  4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

This is exactly what I was thinking when I bought it - dealer had it marked as UNC, but I didn't exactly agree (looks to be some wear on the breast feathers and there isn't really any luster on the portrait) but with the rainbow (which is actually how it looks in hand, although maybe the lighting makes the reverse look a little pastel - it's actually stronger in hand) I didn't really care too much. I've seen lesser coins go for twice what I paid for it, and I was already in a good mood with getting two slabbed toner Roosevelt Dimes for $7 each...so I think it will be okay.

Just kind of curious if toner fans will agree the toning looks more or less natural. :)

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A solid AU. Nice find. I wish my local flea market had coins like that.

eddiespin likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I too agree with an AU grade on this.

As for the toning... this is really difficult. There are some aspects of it that I really like, but there are some aspects that have me concerned about it. Honestly, I can't say with 100% certainty that it is artificial, but I'm leaning towards this one has had some help. Let me tell you why:

1. That mix of blues and greens in the left obverse field, surrounded by yellow toning is an unusual pattern. It isn't a smooth transition, and the thickest toning is not where it should be. Couple that with....

2. The bare spot in front of her forehead shouldn't be there. That is an unnatural break in the toning. It looks wrong.

3. The color transitions and blank spots around "URIBUS" just don't feel right.

4. The toning on her jawline and throat aren't behaving like I'd expect.

5. There is no pull-away. At all. Now, this isn't a sure fire sign of AT, but pull-away is a very reliable sign of NT.

6. I can't say that the elevation chromatics are wrong, because they just aren't there at all.

7. The reverse starts to look better, until we examine it closely. Look at the Eagle's left wing (viewers left, that is). The toning around that wing and into the field has a highly irregular pattern.

8. Again, around the left wreath branch there is a weird pattern of toned and blank, whereas it should be smooth.

I think this coin has a very skillfully done artificial toning. I'm not positive about that. But I'm nearly certain that if you sent it to a TPG, it would come back as questionable color.

7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

This coin is AU and the toning was manufactured. The color progression on the obverse where it goes from yellow to blue back to yellow is not natural. Then the reverse where it goes from green to pink is wrong. It is a pretty coin but not one that occurred naturally in my opinion.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. Player11

Player11 Bullish

A very nice attractive beautiful toner.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty AU coin.

10. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Very pretty. Many experts can't tell a "well done" AT coin. This one may well be AT, but still nice IMO.

I'd say 55-58

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    eddiespin likes this.
  11. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

Morgans are my favorite and I agree with the AU. Hard telling if toning is natural or artificial, there are so many different conditions under which toning occurs. The difference you see between condition of obverse v reverse is normal. On Morgans the reverse always looks better. I think you made a good buy on this one... she's a beauty.

12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I believe the coin is an MS 60-62. After the early 1890's most Philly
    Morgan's were lightly struck and had subdued luster. I still see from
    the pics adequate luster peeking thru. I can't speak for the toning, but
    even the TPGs might not know, if it were sent in. If I had seen this in
    a dealers case and it were priced reasonably I would have bought it.

13. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

Poorly struck UNC. The color doesn't look natural to me.

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Slider and pretty but not sure it would straight grade

15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Best one in awhile. Not ugly at all. Don't like most tones. But thi one i like

16. Cheech9712

Yeah AU

17. Cheech9712

Best answer

18. Cheech9712

Will someone trade me a morgan for a W guam. I want to have at least one morgan. I don't even know what they feel like. Oops did i break another rule. Think i did

19. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I have 3 pocket Morgan Dollars at the moment. PM me and I'll send you one to try on....:)

Draft saved Draft deleted