New photos of my AMCC 1 pick bin win

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

It only took me about a year :oops:... but I finally got around to taking my own photo of my AMCC 1 pick bin win. My excitement for the upcoming AMCC 2 has led me to look back over my previous wins and finally give them some much needed love and attention. :snaphappy::smuggrin:

This example is nothing particularly special (other than the fact that Trajan was a beast man) but I find it to be a really pleasant coin with nice metal. I was happy to snag this one out of the pick bin for a great price. I am not sure if it is the time I spend playing with a coin while getting it ready to photograph but I always feel better about a purchase after I have taken my own photo and am satisfied with the result.

Trajan_Den_AD_110_CSH.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Trajan (AD 98-117)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 110
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.46 g
    Obv.: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P, Laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder.
    Rev.: COS V P P SPQR OPTIMO PRINC, Roma standing left, holding Victory and Spear
    Ref.: RIC II 115 var., Woytek 287b

Ex AMCC 1, lot 396 (Dec. 2018), Ex Spartan Numismatics with tag

For comparison here is @Severus Alexander 's photo from the auction.
    398358.jpg

It's a good photo but not quite as nice as the coin in-hand in my opinion (no offense intended SA, I would rather be pleasantly surprised!).

Let's see your
    • AMCC pick bin wins
    • Coins you like better after photographing

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

That's a great deal better pic Curtis, it seems to show a lot more depth with devices. This Juba coin I bought from Den of Antiquity seemed a bit washed out and more pale than the coin in hand.
    Den of Antiquity Pic. bBC7j6Qfez8WJn92b3cZ4NJqKps95t.jpg
    And my pic taken a few days after recieving. Juba.jpg

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! Some of those pick bin lots were real bargains... I won't make the mistake of not buying more this time around. ;)

Fantastic example, AA. I'm envious!

The auction I purchased this Trajan denarius from last year had some truly terrible photos. Looking at the original pics now, I have to wonder what possessed me to buy it. :shame:

Trajan - Denarius ex Seeger CNG image00305.jpg

Fortunately, it was a much nicer coin in hand.

Trajan - Den Virtus ex Kelly 2989.jpg

5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow that is a nice coin AA!

What a difference in photos, Z. The auction certainly wasn’t doing themselves any favors. It makes you wonder what other gems were hiding behind those terrible photos!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...really, there's nothing sweeter than a "bad" seller photo of a coin you buy and find it's much better in hand....to me anyway. i've bought a few of them as such..:)

Roman Collector and Curtisimo like this.
  7. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I suddenly got the itch to grab a few Republican coins, and by some miracle spotted a few fantastic offerings from Agora.

Aemilius Lepidus
    Agora photo:
    32312.jpg
    Mine:
    Mn armilius lepidus denarius.jpg

Servilius Rulli
    Agora
    31898.jpg
    Mine
    P servilius rulli denarius minerva biga.jpg

M Furius
    Agora
    31908.jpg
    Mine
    M furius l f denarius janus.jpg

Their photos are overblown and too red; mine do better to show the cabinet toning, although I have yet to properly capture the Rulli denarius - it is still a bit lustrous under a deep amber cabinet tone.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  8. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I remember AMCC 1 very fondly – there were a great many wonderful coins in this auction. AMCC 2, with an in my opinion even better catalogue, is going to happen on Saturday, and you can be sure that I have already picked my targets...

Here are some pick bin wins from the first auction, each with @Severus Alexander 's and my own picture. His are much better, I have to admit...
    398291.jpg

Magna Graecia – Makedonien, Eion, Trihemiobol, Gans und Eidechse:Incusum.png
    Macedonia, Eion, trihemiobol, ca. 460-400 BC. Obv: Goose standing r., head turned l.; lizard curving l. above; H to lower r. Rev: quadripartite incuse square. 12 mm, 0,71g. Ref: SNG Cop 179. Ex AMCC 1, lot 329.

398304.jpg

Magna Graecia – Pontos, Amisos, Drachme, Eule.png
    Pontos, Amisos, AR drachm (Chian standard), 4th c. BC. Obv: turreted head of Hera-Tyche l. Rev: Owl with spread wings facing, ME-ΓA below, Π in left field. 15mm, 3.8g. SNG BM Black Sea 1099. Ex AMCC 1, lot 342.

398363.jpg

Rom – Sabina, denar, Venus genetrix.png
    Sabina, Roman Empire, denarius, 128–136 AD, Rome mint. Obv: SABINA AVGUSTA; diademed and draped bust of Sabina r. Rev: VENERI GENETRICI; Venus standing facing, head l., holding out apple in l. hand and drawing a fold of drapery from l. shoulder with r. hand. 19mm, 2.9g. Ref: RIC II Hadrian 396. Ex AMCC 1, lot 401.

398374.jpg

Rom – Lucilla, denarius, Venus victrix.png
    Lucilla, Roman Empire, denarius, 164–180 AD, Rome mint. Obv: LVCILLA AVG, bust of Lucilla, draped, r. Rev: VENUS VICTRIX Venus standing half l., holding Victory in r. hand, l. hand on shield set on helmet. 17mm, 2.27g. Ref: RIC III, Marcus Aurelius 787. Ex AMCC 1, lot 412.

9. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Here are my three children from AMCC1:

0EE2A394-4A43-430B-92CC-24B0321CCED0.jpeg 21A23C58-6C67-4732-BA3F-8FDC88405ACA.jpeg 952FB185-2985-4B0C-AAE6-60682CFBB126.jpeg 6306EEBD-50D9-4A80-91AB-E49465602977.jpeg
    C551E28F-BD0E-4AE4-9C08-CD24906D2B50.jpeg B8B6B204-95A3-4797-AA04-1BB89EB3B2B2.jpeg

Can you tell which pictures are mine? I mixed them up with @Severus Alexander's superior photos. I know, it's really hard to tell. :confused:

I remember seriously checking out that Eion trihemiobol. I love ancients with reptiles on them. :)

Erin

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice (re)shootin', Curtis! The coin's surfaces and toning look very appealing in your photo.

Curtis's post brings up a good point. Sometimes a seller has to err on the side of less flattering images, focusing instead on showing the devices as clearly as possible. Plus, just as we all may have different opinions about what is and isn't "fine style", we all have different preferences in coin photos. Background color, lighting direction, strength of contrast, depth of focus, etc...

An auction company has hundreds of coins to photograph at one time rather than just a few. Glad I'm not the one having to take all of those pictures!!

I haven't successfully reshot most of my AMCC1 coins. I tried and failed to take a better picture of the Themistokles but Sev's pictures were much better than mine and now my coins are thousands of miles away (I'll be reunited at the end of the year :)).

@zumbly, wow-- that's a dramatic difference!

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My AMCC I capture from Thomas

[​IMG]
    APULIA Luceria 211-200 BCE AE Quadrunx 9.7g 24mm Hd Herakles R lion skin headdress 4 pellets behind - LOVCERI Quiver club bow SNG Cop 660
    Ex: @Severus Alexander 1st Auction (AMCC 1)
    Ex: @Justin Lee Collection

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Don’t feel bad, I haven’t been completely successful yet either! Sev took a really nice photo of this Septimus Severus that I still need to try and photograph again.
    16D1322D-11CB-4E35-BF21-C1DFEF9146CC.jpeg
    Coupled with your correct observation about how many photos are taken per auction it just goes to show what a nice job SA did. Good photos that still left room to be pleasantly surprised.

5701801B-647B-42AD-8478-EADE67883B02.gif
    Thanks TIF :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I've been so busy I didn't get a chance to respond to this thread! Thanks for the many kind words above, and I'm glad I had a few photography wins at least. :D It is indeed challenge to take and assemble 500+ coin photos... and I have to force myself not to spend too long on the pick-bin coins. (More bargains, I guess!)

@Curtisimo, your new photo of the Trajan is magnificent!!

Here's my favourite (only?) pick-bin win from last time:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 4.54.41 PM.jpg
    Han dynasty "goose eye" wu zhu, Hartill 10.29

What makes this particularly cool is its size: only 0.64g and 11.5mm. (Also it's ex @TypeCoin971793!) According to Hartill, these have been found in Western Han tombs of 73-33 BCE.

I do like the pick-bin and will be continuing with it, even though it sure ain't no moneymaker. I think of it as a service to the hobby, and maybe will even bring in some new collectors? I hope so, anyway.

Here's a grid of pick-bin coins from tomorrow's auction. (Hopefully appropriate to post here... it's a fun image, yes?) I think my photography is improving. One big help has been to use a remote for the shutter. Now I'm much less likely to get a little blur, as on the obverse of the wu zhu (though that's also partly softness on the coin). I'm also using more direct lighting to highlight the devices, like Curtis did in the OP.

Wait, I lie... not all of these are my photos, some are @dougsmit's who kindly gave me permission to use his awesome work. :happy: (Thanks again, Doug!)

auction2pickbin.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic digital collage! If a single bidder buys every pick bin coin you should print and send them this poster :D.

15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Glad to see you’re finding some extra time to catch up on CT with AMCC 2 getting close to being wrapped up.

...now when does AMCC 3 post! :troll::D

Just kidding brother. I’m looking forward to tomorrow. :)

TIF, Severus Alexander and Orielensis like this.
  16. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Nice coins all, I've just put some bids down on 4 coins I'm wanting :D

Severus Alexander likes this.
  17. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, I really want a @dougsmit pedigree coin... my phone will be on fire tomorrow

Severus Alexander and Curtisimo like this.
  18. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

3BF2313D-3C2F-4A0D-834E-012FE4802B50.gif
    :eek::p:D

19. zumbly

@TIF posted in another thread a coin @dougsmit gave her that had proven challenging for the both of them to photograph. It made me think of this thread, and also reminded me of my own ex Doug coin purchased two years ago that has (annoyingly) defeated on multiple occasions my attempts to take a decent photograph of it. I wasn't hopeful, but I decided to give it another go.

Here it is in JA's original auction photograph. The coin is as dark as it appears int he pic, but not as green. The underlying colour is more brown.

ss_river_god_6 doug smith.jpg

I don't consider my latest efforts great, but I can live with them, and more importantly, I now like the coin more than I did before. :happy:

Septimius Severus - AE28 Nicopolis River God ex Doug Smith 2077.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AE28. 12.33g, 27.7mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum, struck AD 193-195. Pollenius Auspex, consular legate. Varbanov -; Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2018) 8.14.32.1 (same dies). O: [AV KA]I CEΠ CE[VHPOC ΠEP], laureate head right. R: VΠA ΠOΛ AV[CΠIKOC NIKOΠO]TΩN ΠPOC ICTP, River god reclining left, holding cornucopia and resting on inverted vase from which water flows.
    Ex Doug Smith Collection #1698

On the topic of AMCC pick bin wins, two of the three ex Doug coins I won in AMCC 2 were from the pick bin. I think the photos featured in the auction (Doug's?) are great. I suspect I won't be making the mistake of trying to take my own. :D

Seleukos IV - AE dimple ex Doug 846826.jpg
    SELEUKID KINGDOM: Seleukos IV (187-175 BCE), AE20, serrate. 7.00g.
    Obv: Wreathed bust of Dionysos right, thyrsos over shoulder; monogram behind
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΟΣ/ΑΡ/ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ, prow left
    SC 1316.2b
    From the Doug Smith collection, acquired in 1995 from Guy Clark.
    Smith notes that the centration dimple on the obverse is oddly off centre, with respect to both the design and the flan.

Constans hut ex Doug 846912.jpg
    Constans (337-350), AE centenionalis, issued 348-50. Heraclea, 3.8g.
    Obv: D N CONSTANS P F AVG, bust left holding globe
    Rev: FEL TEMP REPARATION, SMH? in ex., Soldier advancing r., head l., holding spear, leading small figure from hut beneath tree
    RIC 7 (p. 435)
    From the Doug Smith collection, acquired in 2000 from Pete Burbules.
    On some examples from Heraclea, including this one, the barbarian emerging from the hut appears to be holding a bow.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

pi0540bb1698.jpg
    Doug Smith provenance coins are no big deal. I have over 3000 of them. :troll: Nine got no bids in AMCC2. ex. Windsor coins 2002. That was the peak of my collecting phase. I retired for the last time in 2003 which really limited my purchasing of coins for a few years. About that same time, I bought my first Canon dSLR (a Digital Rebel/300D) and spent a bit off time learning to use it. I wish my pictures taken this year were as good as some I did then but I'm hit and miss these days.

Curtisimo, Bing and zumbly like this.
  21. zumbly

Well, it looks like all this time, I should have just asked you for your pic of it! :D Thanks for the added sale info. :)

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted