New Philippines Discovery: 1982FM (U) Unicirculated One Piso (and 1980-1982FM Sets)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jan 6, 2019.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I recently was able to obtain some scarce to probably rare Franklin Mint coins from the Philippines.
    Pictured is the 1982FM One Piso that was evidently previously unknown and uncatalogued, but also I have the entire 1c - 5 Piso FM sets of coins 1980-1982.
    These may be scarcer than the catalog suggests for the 1980 and 1981 years, the 1982 seem to be quite scarce. An E-Sylum article in 2012 mentioned finding the 1982 5P and possibly the 5c (not confirmed) but not the other denominations.

IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

Wizank, Maxfli and onecenter like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaime Enrique

Jaime Enrique New Member

Thank you much for posting this and creating awareness about this amazing coin. Yes there is a Uncirculated 6 coin set that was minted by the Franklin Mint that were not the frosted P set that was pressed during that date. These are so rare that Krause Catalog does not have any records of these coins. There were alot of factors that were alot of factors going against these. Upon doing my research not more that 200 sets of the special Uncirculated set were minted making this one of the rarest also one of the most controversial coins in Philippine history. The 1982 Special Uncirculated given its story and how beautiful these coins are to me is the holy Grail of Philippine coin set.

Wizank likes this.
  4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Jaime, please do post what you know about the Philippine uncirculated FM coins. Is it possible to post a reference or give a table of sets or possible individual coin mintages or at least best estimates.
    A general problem is that after 1981, Franklin Mint statistics get to be a bit dodgy and hard to trust any of them - and that goes for both proofs and uncirculated coins and then sets.

The coins I was able to obtain did not seem to have come from packaged sets.
    Any more commentary that you can offer?

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I just saw a Philippino YouTube from a year or so ago that said there is a buyer in the PI offering ONE MILLION PISOS for this coin????

Draft saved Draft deleted