New PCGS Holders

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by josh's coins, May 28, 2015.

1. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I got an Email about these new PCGS Holders. Here is the Breakdown
    • New holographic seal on the reverse
    • New QR code to verify the certification on the reverse
    • Slab is now airtight & Watertight
    • The PCGS Sheild has added security features with new microtext technology
    • New reader that detects some material within the plastic of the slab. costs $300
    • More scratch resistant along with better clarity
    Here is the video in the Email

For $17 you can send in your old PCGS slabs and upgrade them to the gold shield security holder. I think I may do this with some of my coins. What do you guys think about all of this?

Personally I see it as a step in the right direction as counterfeit slabs are becoming a larger problem in Numismatics. I have seen quite a few fake NGC Slabs and they are practically identical to the Authentic which is quite scary.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

What took 'em so long? I wrote to them about 5 years ago telling them they needed to do something to counteract the counterfeit Chinese slabs. I'm sure others did also, as it was painfully obvious that something needed to be done. Well, better late than never.

josh's coins likes this.
  4. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I got one back last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

So you can buy a reader for $300 . More scratch resistant is good since their slabs scratch easily but that should be included in every slab . Still a step in the right direction .

josh's coins likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Pretty coin Todd.

7. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Why is your slab missing the Gold shield on the front?

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Josh , I'd imagine it isn't one with the shield technology like the readable whatever inside . I'm fairly sure you have to pay extra for that . IMHO .

9. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

This was a regular submission, I think that seal is for secure plus. The slab I show still has the code and hologram.

10. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

It looks from your photo that the new slab is thicker and narrower than the old slab, assuming that is a pic of the new one below the old one. I wonder if the new and old will stack together, and whether the new ones will fit in the old blue PCGS boxes.

11. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

The center part of the slab is much thicker, they fit in PCGS boxes (both blue and green), they do not fit in NGC boxes.

geekpryde and Dave M like this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep one shell fits inside of the other for a better weld and a more solid secure slab. (Done by Compugrade in 1991)

And if they are so worried about the holograms being damaged or scratched off, why don't they just put it INSIDE the slab?

How long until the slab counterfeiters determine what the trace material is that the scanners are reacting to and incorporate it into their fakes? Rendering the $300 scanner obsolete.

geekpryde and Paul M. like this.
  13. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

$17 for a reholder? No thanks.

Blissskr likes this.
  14. Coinchemistry 2012

How does this affect the optics of the new holder?

15. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I see no difference in optics.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  16. Coinchemistry 2012

Thank you!

17. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

Gosh, I'm just chomping at the bit to have to reholder all of my coins at $17 a pop, pay for that $300 machine that can detect the "invisible" additive to the plastic, and buy all new PCGS boxes for storing my coins...

I'm sure this was all done for "security" reasons -- you know, general consumer protection altruism -- no potential uptick in profits for all of the new "toys" one needs to have the best and most secure piece of plastic in the industry? :D Heck, now I can even store my coin collection at the bottom of my swimming pool for greater security. ;)

18. Coinchemistry 2012

Piranha infested moats are so much cooler and more secure than swimming pools Brandon. I hope the plastic is chew proof too.

Endeavor likes this.
  19. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

They could have done more...but of course to expound on your thought...that "more" will be the super duper new improved holder in a couple years or whatever....for only an extra $20 per holder and a $500 machine.

I still applaud the improvement, but they should have also included some sort of online verification, and I'm not talking about just checking the grading number on their website, but say for coins worth 4 figures and more, a dedicated webpage for each coin whereby a buyer can follow the history of the coin, sort of in the manner of a vehicle carfax. I think this would have basically made counterfeiting success with slabs impossible. Server space is cheap, it could have gotten done...oh well, perhaps next time.

Endeavor likes this.
  20. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

An interesting point that ought to be highlighted for people. NGC slab boxes are always be go-to slab storage for all types of TPG coins. I guess no longer?

21. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Their Facebook mentioned a special will be forthcoming.

They also are debuting a periodic table of coins at Long Beach for those in attendance.

Draft saved Draft deleted