new parthian coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Sep 10, 2013.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i 've been wanting one of these parthian coins for a while, but haven't had the cash, coin, stars line up just right for me to get one. then, all the sudden, a forum member just s send me this out of the blue! i wont give his name, but he has been very generous (but not this generous!!) to to other forum members, so some of you can probably figure out who he is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

orodes i
    80-77 bc
    ar drachm
    20 mm, 3.98 g

i'm VERY APPRECIATIVE...as you can imagine! :D

note to the sender: my daughter will get this some day....but she may have to inherit it if she doesn't get into ancients.;)

Windchild, randygeki, Eng and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Superb coin, and kudos to the the generous donor. It is indeed better to give than receive.

Ripley likes this.
  4. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Nice. The reverse reminds me of their Bactrian neighbors.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lovely coin, still need a type myself.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice to have "nice" friends, eh? Great coin with wonderful detail.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Funny enough my son received a mysterious Parthian coin as well, along with a birthday card, that lucky stiff.

Daddy took the picture... ParthiaMithradatesII123-88BC.jpg

Windchild, Eng, Ripley and 3 others like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Bazinga!!

chrsmat71 => sweet pick-up!!

Yah, I keep lookin' at these coins as well, but I've yet to pull the ol' trigger! (but I'm gonna soon ... especially now that you've purchased such a fancy lookin' show pony!!)

congrats dude ... you're one of my favourite collectors, so I love seeing you score a total winner!!

have a great night => cheers!!

:)

9. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Very nice coin. Congrats. Hard to tell in the obverse pic, but appears to be more than six points to the star on the tiara, in which case this is a Sellwood 31.6/Shore 124, mint: Rhagae

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

thanks all! and thanks BL, welcome aboard!

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

welcome, Bob L

chrsmat71 => I re-read your initial post and realized that you received this coin as a gift from a forum member (that was extremely cool of your secret Santa ... nice idea)

:)

12. Robt Gossard

Robt Gossard New Member

A friend of mine had a Parthian coin ring and it was simply a gorgeous piece of jewelry. There is something mystique about the artistry on these coins. And yes, ones again kudos to the generous donator.

Draft saved Draft deleted