New Orleans Mint Museum

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by KarlB, Nov 23, 2019.

1. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

My wife and I will be visiting New Orleans Thanksgiving week, and I would really like to visit the Old Mint.

Unfortunately, the only information I can find on the Mint is that the building is now the Jazz Museum.

Is there anything of Numismatic value/interest that is open to the public?

Thank you, much.

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Haven't been there myself, but the old NO Mint has two museums in it ... one dedicated to jazz, the other to coining. The link below is a video of Numistacker's visit to it. Enjoy! Cal

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I believe there is a collection of every issue put out by the New Orleans Mint.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I enjoyed that short video. Wasn’t the New Orleans mint responsible for striking the few confederate halves we have in existence?

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I went to the New Orleans mint museum in 2008. The building has 3 floors and a basement. At the time, the basement was a fascinating display of coining technology at the time - you walked around and saw some of the equipment they used to make the coins. The first floor had a nearly complete display of all coinage made by New Orleans.

Then the top 2 floors were a historical museum of New Orleans. I believe the displays here change, and it looks like it is currently dedicated to Jazz. They are probably emphasizing that a lot more than the coin stuff because I'm sure there are more people interested in Jazz than coins.

7. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

The extremely rare and expensive (six figure) original Confederate half dollars were struck at the NO mint. They were presentation pieces for Jeff Davis and others. Don't know where the more common (but still four figures :jawdrop:) private restrikes were done, but probably not at the mint.

Cal

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hope you mKe it to this Mint. I would like to see pictures so post away and tell us about your trip.

9. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted