new oldies (English, Roman, Greek)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Mar 5, 2010.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

wanted to share a few additions to my collection, I got from forvm, with you all :) All were pretty cheep but still great coins.

Greek Unattributed Silver coin Elaea?
    coin, unattributed, Fair, 0.249g, 6.7mm
    Its a tiny lil thing.

England, James I, 1603 – 1625

Silver halfgroat, Seaby 2659 or 2660, Fair, 0.728g, 17.0mm, 225o, obverse I D G ROSA SINE SPINA, crowned rose; reverse TVEATVR VNITA DEVS, crowned thistle

"James was King of Scots as James VI from 1567 and in succeeded Elizabeth I as King of England, Scotland, and Ireland in 1603. He often used the title King of Great Britain. The English colonization of North America began during his reign. In 1607, Jamestown was founded in Virginia, and in 1620 Plymouth in the Massachusetts Bay Colony."

RomanRepublic Silver Denarius
    Silver denarius, unattributed, Fair, 3.227g, 19.3mm,

4. had this for a little bit just havent shared it yet.
    Ptolemaic Kingdom, Ptolemy VI Philometor and Ptolemy VIII Euergetes, 170 - 163 B.C.11 viewsBronze diobol, Svoronos 1426, SNG Cop 311 - 318, Weiser 143, VF,
    Alexandria mint,
    7.899g, 20.5mm, 0o,
    170 - 163 B.C.;
    obverse diademed and horned head of Zeus-Ammon right;
    reverse PTOLEMAIOU BASILEWS, two eagles standing left, side-by-side, on thunderbolt, single cornucopia left

"The two eagles may symbolize the joint rule of Ptolemy VI and Ptolemy VIII."

additional info on Ptolemy VI : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy_VI_Philometor

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

This first one might be Elea, Aeolis, AR Hemiobol. Late 5th century BC. Head of Athena left, in crested helmet / E L A I, around olive wreath, all within incuse square. SNG Cop 164

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hmm, I wondered who was bidding there. I received my 3 this afternoon, but haven't had the chance to photograph them yet as I had class. Maybe later tonight. I did bid on the half groat, but fell out along the way :)

Jim

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:eek: only bid on this halfgroat and only bid once, but dont worry only one I'm gona get :D for now atleast :D, got a pretty good deal on them.

hope you show what you got too :) like to see them

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Well, here are the quickie photos. On Gray paper as a try.

Silvered antoninianus, RIC V 360, VF, flat centers, Cyzicus mint, 3.837g, 23.6mm, 0o, 274 A.D.; obverse IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right; reverse ORIENS AVG, Sol standing left raising hand and holding globe, foot on captive left, D right, XXI in ex

[​IMG]

Bronze follis, RIC VI 60, VF, Thessalonica mint, 3.199g, 22.4mm, 180o, 312 - 313 A.D.; obverse IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right; reverse IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG NN, Jupiter standing left holding Victory on globe and scepter, eagle with wreath in beak left, •TS•D• in ex

[​IMG]

Billon denier, Malloy Crusaders 25 (or similar), F, weak strike, 0.597g, 18.0mm, 150o, obverse AMALRICVS REX, cross pattée, annulets in upper right and lower left quarters, annulet at end of legend; reverse + DE IERVSALEM, Church of the Holy Sepulchre; slightly irregular flan

My son really wanted a crusader type of coin.

[​IMG]

Jim

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice! I eventualy want to get a crusader type coin as well

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

when I was a kid, I loved miniture coins (still do :D ) so this one being 6.7 mm (depsite wear n tear) is pretty cool

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Nice silver greek Randy! I've been eyeing that for a while, but was waiting to see if they would ever go down on their price. I am interested to see what you find for the attribution if you dont mind sharing.

stainless

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Yeah I had it on my wish list for a while too and it popped uo in their auction :D

they had it listed as "Elea?" I think its right

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

heres my latest coin to come I'll bore you with :)

Celts, Danube Region, Imitative of Alexander or Philip III, c. 150 B.C. - c. 50 A.D.,
    Silver scyphate drachm, Dessewffy, No. 534, Group XXVIII (or similar)
    Fair, 3.314g, 19.1mm, obverse head of Herakles right, wearing lion's head headdress; reverse Zeus enthroned left, holding a scepter in left and eagle in outstretched right; struck with extremely worn dies

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted