New obsoletes from Baltimore

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by BRandM, Nov 15, 2014.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Egg Harbor $10.jpg SW & MA Torrey $1.jpg I picked up these two new notes from Allan Teal at the Baltimore show. Both are new additions to series that I'm collecting.

The Egg Harbor $10 is listed by Wait as W-525 and is / was an R-4. The note is dated July 10, 1861 and is signed by William Paddock and Charles Herman. The bank was chartered in 1861 but was in business for only a year. There were about a dozen different denominations and varieties issued. I only have a $1, $5, and this $10 so have a long way to go to finish the series.

The S.W.& W.A. Torrey private scrip is another series I'm trying to complete. So far I have a 25 cent, $1, and $5 example in my collection. This note isn't in the best of shape but it's the only one I've seen so far in this denomination.

Samuel and William Torrey were brothers who operated a charcoal furnace in Manchester Twp., Ocean Co., NJ in the 1860s. While dated June 15, 1861, the note has been rubber-stamped "Mar 1, 63". All the Torrey notes I've seen are stamped this way but not always with the same date. Do any of you guys know what the added stamp means. Thanks for looking.

Bruce

gsalexan, dwsmn, krispy and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Bruce:

Those are beautiful notes.
    New Jersey has some outstanding Obsoletes and I am sure you know how I feel about notes with Trains..outstanding pick up's..I like em a lot!

4. BRandM

Thanks RickieB. I have a thing about train vignettes too. I think the Egg Harbor series has some of the nicest of any obsoletes which is one of the attractions for me.

Bruce

5. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

The Egg Harbor Bank does have some excellent vignettes on the notes issued..so consider and do not overlook the Union County Banks Series as well.. this $10 is one of my favorite vignettes used on several Bank Issues including some banks in Florida.
    I really admire that 2nd note the RED is so deep..just fantastic!
    Can you tell me what it says just beneath the inked SN on the left bottom of the note? I cant make it out who may have engraved this?
    [​IMG]

BRandM and icerain like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice Bruce! I didn't know...or maybe I forgot...you collected paper.

BRandM likes this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Possibly the rubber stamped dates are for redemption/cancellation.

BRandM likes this.
  8. BRandM

Granted, your train vignette on the Union County Bank note beats my heard of cattle but there are other even nicer engravings on other denominations of Egg Harbor notes.

The small print on the Torrey scrip reads "W.H. Arthur & Co., 39 Nassau & 56 Liberty Sts., NY"

Bruce

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

gsalexan is also into train vignettes. However, most of his are intaglio prints. I purchased a few for him at the FUN Show several years ago. His prints appear on many of the obsolete bank notes since a great percentage are from the American Bank Note Company. I don't mind the cattle either. I'm into a good steak every now and then. :>)

10. BRandM

You could be right afantiques...that or a reauthorization of some sort.

Bruce

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Those are beautiful, Bruce! Very nice additons. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

12. BRandM

Thanks Chris! Every time I add one to my collection I think of you, RickieB, Daryll and a few others who were regulars at the time. Your enthusiasm got me started on a new area of collecting that I really enjoy.

Bruce

13. krispy

krispy krispy

I hope we're not denting your collecting budget too much:oops:, but you are certainly building a nice collection of notes! Glad to see you enjoying it! :joyful:

14. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Both these notes are great, though I always favor engraved notes so I'd have to go with the Egg Harbor this time. Plus it's a great name. :D Fyi, the lower left vignette is known as "The Reapers" -- one of American Bank Note Co's best known images. It shows up on a lot of stocks and bonds, as well.

BRandM likes this.
  15. BRandM

Thanks for the info on the vignette gsalexan. I've seen this one on other notes as well.
    BTW, the name Egg Harbor came from Dutch explorer Cornelius Jacobsen Mey who explored the inlet and into the great Egg Harbor River in 1614. Because of the huge number of shorebird eggs he saw in the meadows he christened the area Egg Harbor. It could be my imagination, but when ever I cross the bridge over the river I pick up a faint odor of eggs...or maybe I'm just hungry.;)

Bruce

gsalexan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted