New obsolete from Baltimore

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by BRandM, Jul 2, 2014.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Franklin Bank.jpg
    This is a new addition to my New Jersey obsolete collection picked up in Baltimore from Tom Denly. Despite the stains, it's still a nice note in my opinion. It's dated June 4, 1827 and signed by W.A. Thompson and what looks to be Louis M. M or W***** ....can't really make out the signature. Anybody want to take a shot at it? I'll have to do a little research and see if I can find the names of the bank's officers.

Franklin Bank was incorporated in 1825 but was only in business for two years. It closed its doors in July, 1827. Another little detail I'm curious about is the small signature in the upper right hand corner to the right of the "B". It looks to be rubber stamped rather than signed. It might read T.M. Porter, but I can't be sure. Haxby lists this note as NJ235-G4 and Wait as W-885. Thanks for looking.

Bruce

mackwork, MEC2, RickieB and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

found online:
    NJ, Jersey City. The Franklin Bank of New Jersey. $20. Date: 1827-04-02 (182 printed). 351 (bank serial). B (plate info). Imprint: Durand & Wright New York. Cashier: Louis M. Wiss? President: W.A. Thompson. Left: 10 / Head of Franklin in ellipse. Top left center: One of many versions of the apotheosis of Washington, here with his bust on a pedestal, about to be crowned with a wreath by a standing goddess, cornucopia at her feet, and patriotic eagle nearby grasping an olive branch and arrows / 20. Bottom center: Sidewheel steamer underway in a river, headed right, over imprint. Right: Franklin head in ellipse / 20. Haxby-NJ-235-G-24; Wait-893. Grade: VF. ($125-175)

Hope "Louis M. Wiss" puts you closer than you were.

midas1 and BRandM like this.
  4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Doug444 beat me to it. Yours is in great shape compared to the one Heritage sold.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    BRandM likes this.
  5. BRandM

Thanks for the comments and info guys. I'll have to check out the name Louis M. Wiss and see if that might be the name on the note.

Bruce

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

BRandM

I love it.. NJ has some very nice Obsolete Bank Notes!!

Nice addition.

BRandM likes this.
  7. BRandM

I did a little checking after my last post and found that Wiss was the other signature...except his first name was spelled Lewis. I came across a note in the 1827 edition of Longworth's American Almanac that the bank was incorporated on Dec. 28, 1824 with $300,000 in capital at $50 a share. Thompson's first name was William.
    Another detail I like about this note is the "lazy one" at the top center. Still haven't figured out the small signature at the top right yet.

Bruce

8. BRandM

Thanks RickieB! I have another to post later...a piece of obsolete scrip from NJ I also bought from Denly.

Bruce

9. BRandM

img001.jpg
    Here's the second pick up from Tom Denly at the Baltimore show last Thursday.

Monroe Forge was an iron smelting operation run by Lewis M. Walker. It was established in 1820 or 1821 on the South River three miles southwest of May's Landing, NJ. Another operation called Weymouth Furnace was in the same general vicinity. Monroe Forge was also known as Walker's Forge for obvious reasons. It was located on 9,800 acres of land on part of what is known today as the Pine Barrens National Preserve.

Little is known about Walker's life. He was born in Oley Township, Berks Co., PA in August, 1791 and came to NJ in 1811. He married Charlotte W. Pennington, the niece of the Governor of New Jersey (1813-1815). He both served as a County Freeholder and coroner of Atlantic County, and later was a representative in the State Legislature and the State Senate. The forge was abandoned in 1835. Walker died in 1853.

The "J.P.Walker" listed on the note was his grandson who inherited and later sold the property to a hunting club.

This note is in really nice condition. Tom Denly told me that he's never seen one this nice. It's listed in Wait as W-1198 and is an R-4.

Bruce

mackwork likes this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I always enjoy your well researched posts Bruce! Great note!

11. BRandM

Thanks Jack.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted