New, need help identifying coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andy Reynolds, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Andy Reynolds

Andy Reynolds New Member

I'm new to the coin collecting world and could use some help with figuring out what these coins are i inherited. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The ancient coin was struck under Antonius Pius.

Inspector43 and Andy Reynolds like this.
  4. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Yes, that's Antoninus Pius, probably the denomination called an As and from about 140 AD. If your next question is, "what is it worth/" with that hole and the deep flan crack, not a whole lot. This assumes that it is a genuine ancient coin and not a recent copy.

Andy Reynolds likes this.
  5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

6. Andy Reynolds

Andy Reynolds New Member

No I don't care about value. Never going to be for sale. Just wanted to know what it was. Thank you

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

In my estimation, the AP is authentic

8. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

I don´t think it is authentic, look at the crack al 7 o´clock. It looks as if it is made of lead or something weak, plus, chubby legends...almost like a WRL replica.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Antoninus Pius as seems to have the reverse PIETAS AVG. Compare:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2765992

I do not claim to be able to tell genuine from fakes using photos but the 'problems' I see could be explained away on a genuine coin that has had a hard life.

10. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I can definitively answer this one...

It’s a cast fake. I have a nearly identical one that came in a lot of 14 other authentic coins.
    EA4439C6-FDE5-4A6F-956B-EAFA1DDA2AA8.jpeg
    Sorry for the bad news. The good news is you could buy an authentic one in this condition for $40 give or take a bit.

Alegandron, Bing, Spaniard and 6 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is amazing the amount of work put into reproducing this fake including the hole. Imagine the same techniques applied to a nice original. Extending the cracks from the original edge irregularities was a nice touch. I would like to know the whole story here. Was this a challenge bet between co-workers in the fake business? Was it made to fool one particular collector? Was it a final exam in fake-maker school? It is easy to understand a lot of work put into expensive coins but this coin, if genuine, would seem less than the $40 OJ quoted.

Orange Julius, Spaniard and Andres2 like this.
  12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I paid $ 7,50 for this one:

Antoninus Pius Aequitas.jpg

Alegandron and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted