New Morgan Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by thomas mozzillo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I would only buy some if they were the usual 90% silver and then only at the spot price. There would be -0- collector value until maybe a limited amount were issued, graded and then stopped production, but then it would still have to be made of 90% silver to ever increase in value IMHO.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Just like you're entitled to your opinion, so are the rest of us naysayers. Nobody here is addressing you and your opinion on this potential offering. Yet you continue to address the naysayers as if you're trying to convince us to change our opinion.

You've stated your thoughts. At this time it's nothing more than....

giphy-1.gif

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

It will be .999 since that's cheaper for the mint.

5. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

No. Just tired of the inconsistency of opinions and negativity about virtually EVERYTHING that comes out. I know I haven’t been personally addressed, and I’m not trying to convince anyone to like or purchase these. You not wanting to buy one is an advantage for me. I just don’t understand the negative reactions given what we’ve seen during recent years.

As for the stupid GIF you posted, the people who share my view are apparently a tiny minority. There aren’t enough of us to have a handle on that horse.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  6. masterswimmer

Already offered mine up for your purchasing pleasure. Enjoy.

7. Ike Skywalker

Hopefully we will get an amazing product.

8. masterswimmer

I do hope that's the case. I'd like to finally see another good offering from the mint. It seems like a decade already since they released anything significant.

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Don’t hold your breath.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Honestly, if done right by the Mint, this has the potential to be a major event.

11. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Old Press # 1 just struck about 125 1870-CC replicas which were sold at a dinner party in aug. They sold for $150 as a fund raiser for the Museum...The press operates as it did in the 1870s...anything is possible...I hope for more from old press #1!

12. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Why not post a link to this so we can read about it?

13. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

14. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Note the word replicas.

15. Ike Skywalker

Yeah..... and? His point was that they re-used an original press to strike those coins in response to someone else saying that a 2021-CC Morgan, struck at the old Carson City Mint, could never happen.

16. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the 50th anniversary of the SBA Dollar so they can make a commem. Or release the ones in storage.

Penna_Boy and CoinCorgi like this.
  17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

18. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Perhaps what you’re not picking up on is that a lot of us are just tired of the endless stream of manufactured collectibles cranked out by the US mint. The mint knows that some of us have an irrational compulsion to buy everything the mint makes, and they exploit that. Shame on them.

19. Penna_Boy

In 2017, 2018 and again in 2019 some people have petitioned Congress for a rerun of a CC Dollar and a 2021 Peace Dollar. Google - it's all there. I for one am not going to hold my breath till a Carson City dollar, marked copy, gets approved by this Congress. That should have occurred in 1978; the 100th anniversary. I agree with Maxfl; manufactured collectibles. If you like them - buy them. However some of us prefer the original item.

Maxfli likes this.
  20. Penna_Boy

BTW: Those CC .50 cent pieces sold for $150.00 (donation). 5 years from now what do you think you could sell one for? Hint: San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Coin Program.

21. Ike Skywalker

@Maxfli - I understand where you’re coming from, and I can appreciate this position. I guess we can agree that we’re all tired of something that’s going on in this hobby.

I apologize to all if I’ve been a bit brash. I’m just a wee bit passionate about this potential program. That’s all.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted