New Morgan Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by thomas mozzillo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

No. There are plenty of old examples available. I don’t need this contrived piece of collector trash.

The days of, “if we make, they will come,” for stuff like this from the mint should be over.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I seem to be in the distinct minority, but I think it’s a good project for the Mint. I mean how could they possibly screw it up?

On second thought, I’m playing with fire by asking that question.

-jeffB and RonSanderson like this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Do you remember the 2016 tribute to 1916? Where the coins are so small (based on gold weight) that they look nothing like the originals?

At least for the 2014 Gold Kennedy, they used an odd-weight (0.75oz) so that it was the right size.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Anybody who wants my allotment for this mint money grab is welcome to it. I'll pass.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hmmm according to this it was pretty close

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5250/2016-W-Mercury-Dime/

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I did like the 2016 golds, though it took a couple of years. Having said that, the 100th anniversary coins should have been issued in silver. I’m assuming the 2021 dollars will be silver. Maybe I shouldn’t be assuming.

8. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Sorry, but didn’t you just contradict yourself?

And to all of you who can’t help but be negative, the market for these will render all of your opinions invalid. This can and will happen IF they are created to be EXACTLY like the originals. If they are merely caricatures, then the naysayers will be proven correct. The Mint had better not mess this up.

littlehugger likes this.
  9. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Judging the US Mint by it's own record they'll probably mess it up. (If the Bill passes).

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Probably another overpriced coin.

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The problem with all of those was putting "24kt Au" on them. Then all 4 of them were just pieces of bullion. Thank God they didn't ruin the 2009 UHR $20 gold pieces putting that crap on them. That was the last nice thing the mint issued since 1982.

12. Ike Skywalker

The bill will pass, and they will be minted. Whether or not the Mint messes them up remains to be seen, but I know what you mean. Fingers crossed.....

13. Burton Strauss III

All y'all are acting like it's going to pass congress...

It still has just ONE sponsor, has been referred to the House Committee on Financial Services and is given a 4% chance of passage...

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr3757

As of this morning, there are 352 bills referred to this committee.

https://financialservices.house.gov/

IF you want this thing...

1. Call, FAX or write (do not email) your Congressman/woman and ask them to co-sponsor the bill
    2. Call, FAX or write (do not email) EACH of the members of the House Financial Services committee asking them to support the bill and forward it to the full congress with a favorable report.

14. Burton Strauss III

It's easy - here's one free way to fax congress: https://faxzero.com/fax_congress.php

(The specific text of the message is less important than clearly specifying what you want your congress-critter to do and giving your name and address to prove you are a constituent - these are tallied by issue, the congress-critter just gets a summary)

In this case I know he's a medical doctor, otherwise, use Dear Congressman

15. Burton Strauss III

I'm not sure which subcommittee has jurisdiction:

Subcommittee Assignments
    116th Congress

But I'm willing to bet that a FAX to the heads of several of the committees won't be amiss.

16. Lembeck13

Lembeck13 Active Member

17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The mint should stick to minting coins for circulation. They should stop manipulating the hobby. In fact they should be prohibited from doing so.

18. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. For example I remember when, for a few short years, the SBA Dollar was pretty popular. It could be used in vending machines at the lunch room where I was a contract employee. They had a Five Dollar Bill changer that spit out 5 SBA's and then you would deposit the SBA's into the individual vending machines for goodies. And, back then you would likely get some change back from the SBA. I have many, many circulated ones that are sitting in a box just waiting to be spent.

19. Tlberg

Tlberg Well-Known Member

Depending on the price - I might be interested o_O

20. Burton Strauss III

Tlberg likes this.
  21. Ike Skywalker

This bill will be passed. It’s only a matter of time. There’s too much money to be made.

Here we have an opportunity for a frickin’ 2021-CC Morgan and a 2021-P high relief Peace dollar, and most are scratching their heads over the “absurdity” of it. And yet we keep getting endless quarter designs, presidential Dollars, horrible Liberty medals, etc. But people discuss their likes and dislikes of those issues without much fuss. Yet the mere mention of a new Morgan/Peace Dollar elicits a viscerally negative response from many. But go ahead... keep straining on that gnat. Keep swallowing that camel.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Darkside likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted