New micro camera

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Swervo513, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I just purchased the Leuchtturm USB Digitalmikroskop DM4. I'm struggling with the lighting. My indoor lighting can be a bit yellow so will skew the results quite a bit and the microscope lighting is very white and will create a glare when using. Combining both lights can help with some coppers or bronzes but not silvers. I could use some practical advice from any of you who have had experience with issues of this sort. Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Larry

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Do you have an contraption you are placing the coin in or are you just sitting in on a table? I've seen guys build little boxes just for this.

4. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Something like this

Attached Files:

Dynoking likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't speak German, and therefore can't find out whether the camera has White Balance adjustments or not. If not, as long as you use only one color temperature of light on the subject, it's correctable in postprocessing rather easily. But look for the ability to adjust color balance at the camera first.

6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

7. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

8. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

Interesting concept Camreno. Not sure how I could apply that to photographing a coin. But diffusing the light some how would help with the glare. And my indoor lights just create a very yellow tone which doesn't complement my silver coins.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Did you figure out if your camera has a white balance setting?

10. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

All you need is white light with no interruptions, that's what the box is for. I found one on amazon Im gonna pick up.

11. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

There is no such thing as white light.

12. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

LOL alright...

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Go on...

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

"White" is the complete absence of hue. The color temperature of light most closely resembling "white" is the maximum presence of all hues simultaneously, which is the exact opposite of "white."

15. -jeffB

You're picking one definition of the word "white", then saying that it's the opposite of another definition of the word "white". That technique's useful for pointing out that English is silly, but not much else. :)

16. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Alright enough of this pissing contest. You can buy photography lights that omit WHITE light, at least the closest you will ever get to white and they advertise it as WHITE. Capeesh?

Swervo513 likes this.
  17. -jeffB

Actually, you'll see photography lights advertising a "color temperature". Because English was developed by ordinary people, not scientists, "warm white" has a lower color temperature, and "cool white" has a higher color temperature. Basically, a color-temperature rating means "take something that's black, heat it up to this temperature, and it'll glow with this color".

If you're dealing with CFL or LED lights, you also need to know about CRI -- color rendering index -- which has to do with how evenly the light is distributed across the spectrum. That can probably matter quite a bit for taking pictures of toned coins.

18. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

WHITE

19. -jeffB

Hey, if you keep triggering my traumatic memories of technical imprecision in descriptions, how do you EXPECT me to react?

20. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Yes, white is a very complicated color. We call a pretty wide range of colors "white".

From a photographic perspective, the best color reference is the so-called 18% grey card. It has the most balanced RGB of any reference, so that you can white balance to it easily.

21. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

What you can buy is light that has a known color temperature. They are not "white" but because they have known color temp they can be white balanced more easily in-camera or in post-processing.

Draft saved Draft deleted