Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CTL, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

Thanks for re
    Thanks for reply. I am really interested in coins with depictions of Queen Dido but they can get too expensive for my budget. I asked my wife to get a second job to support my collecting. I cannot post her response in a family forum.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL!!!

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have been amazed at the wide variety of specialty interests we have represented here on Coin Talk. Carthage certainly is one, as is their chief nemesis (Rome) and people who share their earlier heritage (Phoenicians). I'm still a general collector with several mini specialties (between 10 and 1000 coins). There is no wrong answer. As I recall, we have a couple Texan members who I hope will help with show reports.

Sorry that I am perceived as unfriendly but there is a good case to be made for that.

5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I don’t think you’re unfriendly at all-- I hope you didn’t take my depiction of you as an angry dwarf wielding an enormous axe that way (I see where you might!). I meant it as an honorable accolade!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Justin Lee and Orfew like this.
  6. frank008

frank008 New Member

Great community here and so much knowledge! As a relative noob to posting about all kinds of ancient coinage, this is a great spot.

7. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard CTL. It is so enriching to read so many posts from so many knowledgeable hobbyists. I hope you experience the same thrills I get looking at everyone's acquisitions.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Hamilcar Barca - welcome!

Nothing says you have to quit US coins, of course. You can enjoy collecting both.

They're very different disciplines, but each rewarding in their own way. I still dabble in both.

But it's true that something so modern as US coins can seem rather pedestrian when the Ancients bug bites you and burrows into your psyche. Happened to me about a decade ago.

I enjoyed watching @dadams make that transition four or so years back.

Orfew likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Welcome @CTL , @Hamilcar Barca , @frank008 , and any other new members!

CTL I'm in Texas but I don't know any good shows. If you find one, let me know.

Draft saved Draft deleted