New member saying hello

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Hello forum members, just wanted to say hello as a new member a give a bit of info about myself. To start with the most relevant info, I've been collecting roman ancient coins for a couple of years now. I've mainly focused on the so-called 12 Caesars era, flavian dynasty, adoptive emperors and severan dynasty, but I 've obtained some campgate coins as well for example. Not to make it sound like I've collected many coins perhaps compared to some other forum members, so far I've collected 55 (and im waiting for one to arrive). I like basically try to collect what appeals to me, and what is within my very modest budget. The 12 Caesars project is almost complete, with a mix of bronze and silver. I'm only missing Galba and maybe many years from now i will have the coin to get the old coins all in silver: Claudius, Caligula and of course an portrait of mr Caesar himself.
    I love to read more about the history of Rome and coins and learn more about it. This forum has been very helpful for gaining more knowledge and even though i lack time i want to completely get into the history and coins (young kids, wife, job...), a quick look every now and then is very informative. So the reason i wanted to finally register as a member is to contribute every now and then when i can. Active members keep forums alive, and ive seen this forum is alive very much indeed.
    So, sorry for typing to much and typing in not too best English, im not a native speaker but i will do my best!

To do justice to this forum, i 've added (of tried to add) a picture of a coin i bought from Lanz in 2015. Its a coin I haven't been able tot attribute for a long time, not untill i found on this forum a thread by mr David Atherton. The coin isn't very pretty, but the strange little head for some reason attracted me to it (i have a different coin of vespasianus of very different style).

All the best! 17 Vespas denarius pax.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome to the CoinTalk Ancients board, @Limes! Looking forward to your participation :).

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Welcome @Limes That is a nice Vespasian.

5. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Welcome Limes from a fellow new poster.

Your English is excellent btw.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, @Limes !

Chris

7. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT . Please don’t be too hard on your Vespasian coin. The sentence I quote made me laugh, because it’s exactly what my wife said about me when she first met me 25 years ago.....

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hello Limes and Welcome to Cointalk. I joined about a year and a half ago (time flies!) and it's been a good experience. And, as you point out this forum is pretty active. It kind of makes the hobby more social, rather than a solitary pursuit. Plus, one learns a lot.

Bayern likes this.
  9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Welcome to the forum, @Limes! I'm excited to see your posts and more of your coins.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome to the Ancients Forum of Coin Talk, @Limes ! We are looking forward to your posts! And your English is great... MUCH better than my Dutch.

Kindest Regards,
    Brian

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Limes, Add my name to the welcome list of CoinTalk members. I joined last year & found this website enjoyable & informative. I live in a small village in upstate New York with no known collectors of ancient coins, so this website is a breath of fresh air.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto

Alegandron likes this.
  13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

…………… me too!

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

welcome to CT. tell us about your avatar pic. I am curious about it...

15. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Welcome to Cointalk from a fellow Dutchie, @Limes! I recognise the Limes in your profile picture from Utrecht. Do you live close by by any chance? Hope to see you around!

Pellinore likes this.
  16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk! Looking forward to seeing more of your collection!

18. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

19. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

giphy.gif
    Great coin. Cool portrait!
    I am a big fan of Vespasian. He really comes off as a good ol man of the people.
    Here's one of mine with a similar reverse:
    CollageMaker Plus_20184522510610.png

Vespasian
    (69-79), Denarius, Rome,
    AD 70; AR (g 3,027; mm
    18.1; h 6); IMP CAES[AR
    VESPASIAN]VS AVG,
    laureate head r. , Rv. COS
    ITER - TR POT, Pax seated
    l., holding branch and
    caduceus. RIC I 10 = II 29;
    C 94

20. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Dear Limes,

welcome here enjoy the CT

21. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Welkom Limes, Your username suggest you live near the old roman border.
    I live opposite of the old Roman fort "Matilo" in Leiden, the Netherlands.
    There are about a dozen country fellowman on CT who collect ancient coins :)

P1140996.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted