New Maxentius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Oct 13, 2018.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very nice @Cucumbor - the Dioscouri piece is amazing.

Cucumbor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Something slightly different:-

Obv:–IMP MAXENTIVS P F AVG CONS, Laureate bust left, holding eagle-tipped scepter in right hand, wearing imperial mantle
    Rev:– CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated facing, head left, in tetrastyle temple (four columns), holding globe and sceptre
    Minted in Ticinum (//TT). 4/20/308 - end of 308 AD.
    Reference(s) – RIC VI Ticinum 103

[​IMG]

Maxentius as Caesar
    Obv:- M AVR MAXENTIVS NOB CAES, Laureate head right
    Rev:- SALVIS AVGG ET CAES FEL KART, Carthage standing facing, head left, holding up fruits in both hands
    Struck in Carthage late 306 A.D. H in left field, Greek_Delta in exe.
    References:- RIC VI Carthage 51a.

[​IMG]

4. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

My very first post on CoinTalk almost three years ago was this Maxentius coin.

Maxentius VICTORIA.jpg

Rev: VICTORIA AVG N; Emperor seated on trophy receiving globe from Victory

5. Daniel Neu

Daniel Neu Active Member

Those are all really nice coins. I’ve found Maxentius coins to be some of my favorites in the late empire and all the coins posted here have only reinforced that thought.

I only have two but they suit me well.

7F5BA5D6-755C-491D-9346-3EC052F47F64.jpeg

8A6F1B3E-5B67-4B9D-B9FA-4D998A22F099.jpeg

6. ancient coin hunter

Great coins @maridvnvm - I particularly like the first one with the left facing portrait with the emperor wearing all of that regalia.

7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

As Caesar. Now that is not something you see every day... very cool.

Fantastic thread!

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 12.48.26 PM.jpg

8. ancient coin hunter

I just received the coin in the mail and snapped a couple of photos. The coin is 26mm and 6.8 grams...

maxentius3.jpg

maxentius4.jpg

dlhill132, arizonarobin, TIF and 7 others like this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

Now I need to find one of those Dioscouri pieces and a Divus Romulus coin!

10. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Really nice coins in the thread. I had two Maxentius folles from the Ticinum mint, and now I bought one from the mint of Aquileia, where the die cutters were made, it seems to me, the more beautiful temples.

Maxentius. AD 307-312. AE follis (6.60 g). Ticinum. Obv. IMP MAXENTIVS PF AVG, Laureate head right. Rev. CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma seated facing on throne, head left, holding globe and scepter; all within hexastyle temple decorated with knobs as acroteria and empty pediment. TT in exergue. RIC 100.
    129-01.jpg
    Maxentius. AD 307-312. AE follis (6.10 g). Ticinum. Obv. IMP MAXENTIVS P F AVG, laureate head right. Rev. CONSERV VRB SVAE, tetrastyle temple with Victory standing right within, holding wreath and palm branch, facing Roma seated left, holding globe and scepter, shield at her side; bound captive sitting right between them; PT in exergue. RIC 106.
    129-02.jpg
    Maxentius. AD 307-312. AE follis (6.20 g). Aquileia. Obv, IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, Laureate head right. Rev. CONSERV VRB SVAE, Roma, holding spear, seated left on shield, presenting globe to Maxentius standing right, holding spear; all within tetrastyle temple with Victories as acroteria and she-wolf and twins in pediment. AQΓ in exergue. RIC 113.
    129-03.jpg

dlhill132, Cucumbor, Andres2 and 10 others like this.
  11. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Three great coins with good detail and patina, very nice indeed gogili1977.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  12. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Picked up a Maxentius Dioscuri type at the last coin show.
    2CE8D395-AE1E-4628-A8E1-DFF95B749FE1.jpeg
    MAXENTIUS 306-312
    AE Follis 25mm 7.03g
    Ostia Mint 309-312
    IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, laureate head right/
    AETERNITAS AVG N, Dioscuri standing facing each other with two horses
    MOSTQ

13. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

I have more, but this is one of the nicest.

Frans

Attached Files:

Johndakerftw and arizonarobin like this.
  14. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@maridvnvm, I'm sure you know how very rare and important this issue from Carthage is. The only Follis with Maxentius as Caesar. I no longer collect these but in the years that I did, I never saw one come up for sale.

15. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Here is a different type to add to the group. This follis was struck c. AD 309-312, & depicts FIDES MILITVM AVG N on the reverse. Ostia Mint: 3rd Officina, 7.08 gm, 25 mm, 12h. RIC VI, 45. Maxentius seems to have those boyish bangs on most of his portraits :D.

Maxentius, Ostia Mint, 7.08 gm (2).jpg Maxentius, Ostia Mint, 7.08 gm (3).jpg

16. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Maxentius has numerous rare types. Here is one:

MaxentiusVICTORIAVOTX1568.jpg
    Maxentius. 25-24 mm. 6.97 grams.
    Struck mid to late 309.
    VICTORIA AETERNA AVG N
    MOSTP in exergue, mint of Ostia.
    Victory seated right on cuirass [look at its detail!], shield behind, helmet below, Victory holding shield with VOT/X.
    It is not in RIC, but this coin is in the new Drost book on coins of Maxentius. Unique with officina P and one other known with officina S.

17. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Valentinian - Unbelievable fine reverse style for coins of this era.

18. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a beauty! Victory has so much detail on her.

19. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Maxentius & Victory. Already posted in another thread but I can't remember nor can I find in which one:confused:

AE Follis; Rome, 310 - 311 AD, mint mark RBP, Officina mark P
    22 x 24 mm, 5.66 g
    Ref.: RIC VI, Rom 273 var. (only RBS is in RIC);

Obv.: laureate head of Maxentius right, IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG around
    Rev.: VICTORIA AVG N Victory advancing l. holding wreath in right hand and palm in left; at her feet, captive; in exergue RBP (Roma Beata, Prima officina)

upload_2019-3-19_16-35-40.png upload_2019-3-19_16-35-54.png

20. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

This thread influenced me to break out of my mold of coins of the early Roman Republic, and purchase a coin of Maxentius. Before narrowing my focus to RR silver, I was quite interested in the coins of the tetrarchy, but sold all of them to support my new discipline. There was one coin on top of my want list for years that I never saw for sale, and that is RIC IV 51a (Carthage), the only follis of Maxentius as Caesar. This thread made me do a little searching and I found this coin, made an offer and it is now mine. A little late I guess. I suppose this means I've now expanded my collecting focus. MaxentiusCarthageNOBCAES.jpg

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have had my Romulus for 25 years now and understand it no better than when I bought it. A recess has been carved all around the portrait except for a small 'hinge' at the back of the head where the metal is raised a bit above the field. Why? I have no idea what someone was trying to accomplish. As it is, the reverse is nice.
    ru4250bb1188.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted