New Lucilla Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Another one from this past christmas. This brings me down to only 4 for this particular empress I need left for my set.

Loved this the best as for coins I got from christmas.

[​IMG]
    Lucilla (164 - 183 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F, Draped bust right.
    R: Venus, Venus standing left, holding apple and sceptre.
    Rome
    18mm
    3.36g
    RIC 784

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Nice Venus Mat. What are the four reverses you need?

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Actually need 3, won one on ebay but I dont count it till it's in hand.

Still need "Hilaritas", "IVNONI LVCINAE with Juno sitting, not standing", & "FECVNDITAS" which seems to be the rarest one for regular reverses. Only 12 in the Reka Devnia hoard.

MA Shops only has one and it has a severe crack & too expensive, Euro.:/

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I like this one allot too! Almost done, pretty cool!

6. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Nice coin and nice piece of history.

The history behind Lucilla is a tragic one. She was forced into two marriages of political convenience (including one to co-Emperor Lucius Verus) to much older men by her father, Emperor Marcus Aurelius. When her first husband (co-Emperor Lucius Verus) died, she lost her status and power as Empress. With her father's later death, she lost her status as Emperor's daughter. She didn't lose her quest for power, however, and she was involved in a plot to supplant her deranged brother (Commodus) with her second husband. That did not end well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucilla

That Commodus was a real freak. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojN06GP50K4

Knowing the history behind the coin makes both the coin and history come alive.

guy

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, partly why I am building the set of her and crispina. I have always liked the two of them despite being larger footnotes in history.

8. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

After her first husband, the co-Emperor Lucius Verus, died in 168/169, would coins of the Empress still be minted with her loss of status? Certainly by the time of her brother's accession, these coins would have fallen from favor. Would she still have had the title two years after her father's death in 180?

It would have been difficult to have been the former Empress and older sister to the bizarre Commodus, only to see him become the reigning Emperor and yourself losing power, privilege, and status to that megalomaniac.

guy

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice bust of the young empress. I like it
    BTW I do have a sestertius, not a denarius, featuring seated Juno..

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted