New lincoln C DDO "doubled lip"??!! survey says.......

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Christian buffington, Sep 22, 2019.

?

new ddo?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

88.9%
  3. i dont know

11.1%
  1. Christian buffington

Christian buffington New numismatic love

These are 3 separate Lincoln cents all from D all 2008 all conditions from VF to ms (in my best guesstimate) i would love to believe that i was the second person this year to discover a new variety on the Lincoln cent XD.....what do you all think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not seeing it.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Christian buffington

like literally you cant see it or like you dont think it is ?

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I see what may be a small die chip on the end of his chin, but no doubling of anything.

6. Christian buffington

well it was a nice thought while it lasted lol

7. Christian buffington

th
    thank you for helping me

8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Both : I can't see it 'cause it's not there and I don't think it is 'cause it's not.

Sorry.

9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The most help we can be for you is to direct you to literature that teaches you about die doubling. It doesn't do you any good to look at coins in magnification if you don't know what you're looking for. Take a read here and let us know if you have questions: http://www.error-ref.com/doubled-dies/

Hookman likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As you are relatively new, you should also read about the difference between single squeeze hubbing coins ( since 1997 ) and the real doubled dies ( multiple squeeze hubbing) that was before that time ( some transition as the change was not in just one year). Read the Class IX of DD in the above reference source, as they are caused by movement similar to that of mechanical mmovement (IMO).

John Wexler writes,” Class IX. God Only Knows – This class of doubling is for those doubled dies that are simply unexplained. It is for those extremely few doubled dies that defy logic and common sense. It is where the physical evidence does not support a reasonable conclusion on how the working die was hubbed to produce the secondary image.”

What this indicates is that there are very few of recent coins past 1997 that could even be called class IX DD and probably should be called 'normal' or mechanical doubling at the most.

Totally in my old collector opinion, Jim

Hookman likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I see no doubling.

Hookman likes this.
  12. Christian buffington

Thank you all very much. I will read there'd suggested literature

13. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

If you are referring to just below the bottom lip on the 1st and 3rd pictures posted, it looks like both coins took a hit causing a small cut or gash. IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted