New Liberty Cap Half Cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Fish, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

If any of you have seen my thread about my trip to the Early American Coppers (EAC) show this year these pictures won't be new to you but the information will be. If you haven't, there's a bunch of info about my trip. Probably boring for most of you, but we had a good time.

If anyone wants to play the grading game I know what I call them all, how 'bout you? But let's do it EAC style. For those unfamiliar, it's usually something like "EF40 details net VF25".

1794 C4a MDS 4 - R3
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1794 C5a MDS 1 - R4+
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1794 C8 MDS 2 - R5
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1795 C3 MDS 2 - R5+
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1795 C6b MDS 2 - R6
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1797 C2 MDS 1 - R3[​IMG][​IMG]

Prior to our trip I had three (attributable) Liberty Cap half cents. All very low-grade, and two of the three common. I now have nine. I also have my first B-girl, so it looks like I'll be collecting those. Which is, I suppose, a good thing as I'm trying to get a complete set by variety (at least, as close as I can get). That is commonly held to be 99 varieties, and ignoring the B/C girls would limit me to something like 88 varieties.

The Liberty Caps break down in rarity thus:
    R8: 02
    R7: 03
    R6: 05
    R5: 05
    R4: 04
    R3: 11
    R2: 05
    R1: 00

I have one of the R6s (20%), three of the R5s (60%), one R4 (25%), three R3s (27%), and one R2 (20%). Nine of thirty-five coins under my belt means I'm a quarter of the way done.

If I were to break it down by date, I have the most difficult 1795 still ahead of me (the R6+ C2b), but after that the rest are easy to come by. In the 1794 A-girls I still need the C6a and C7 (both R5+, with the former being the more difficult of the two) and then the remaining are downhill. I don't have a single B-girl of '94, but the only ones that tend to be readily obtainable are C1b (for an R6 these come up for sale quite often and feel much more like an R5) and C2b (less common than the 1b, but still available pretty readily). The half cents of 1796 are prohibitively expensive (I saw three for sale at EAC, ranging in price from 10-20k for low-grade pieces) and 1797 has the C3c (the gripped edge) as a serious, serious stopper. The next time one of those comes up for sale I'd be surprised if it went for less than 12k, and probably closer to 25k. Lastly, the 1793s are all roughly equally common and generally just require an expenditure of cash to come readily to hand.

The Draped Busts are my favorite, but with this many rare caps readily obtainable I just couldn't pass up working on my collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Whoa. Nice

4. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

Nice coins! Insanely large photos!! I clicked the link, and My computer suddenly turned to chocolate copper sweetness.

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

seriously love those half cents.

6. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

Yeah, sorry about that. My cam/lens combo lets me do coins at about 2400x2400. They're only about a meg and change apiece. Hey, the full RAW pics are about 9 megs before they're converted and cropped.

7. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

fa2
    po1
    ag3
    g6
    ag3 porous net fa2
    ag3???

I have never tried to grade these before and I am sure I am way off.

8. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

Well, I would certainly disagree with your grades. This is how I grade them...

VG8 net G4 average
    VG8 net AG3 average-
    VG8 net G5 scudzy
    F12 net G5 average
    F12 net AG3 scudzy
    VG8 net VG8 average+/choice

Doing details grades on problem coins like most of those can be difficult, but with the disparity between your grades and mine I would suggest you might want to pick up a copy of the ANA grading guide and spend some quality time with it.

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice batch of half cents. I am not sure I might not go F on the last one - looks more like weak strike versus the amount of wear. Who cares it is really sweet.

10. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Totally awesome! :thumb:

I just sold my 95 C-6a. Too bad you missed it, although it was a corroded PO2 but it didn't cost an arm and leg like most dew. ;)

Ribbit :)

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Nice collection with many TOUGH coins!

Draft saved Draft deleted