New key date and a tough hole filled

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by RomanTheRussian, Oct 1, 2017.

1. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

Have been looking for a problem-free example of this date/assayer combination for a few years now and ended-up winning this one on eBay tonight. Looks like a nice original XF40-45. Only 3 certified at PCGS with the highest one being a nice steely-looking AU50 in Blackhaw's set. Catalog value in XF is $600, with the current softness of the market I was able to get this one at less than half that.

The hunt continues for a nice 1813-HJ and a whole bunch of varieties...

Seller's pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dadams, Nathan401, mlov43 and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Very nice, congratulations!

Thanks,
    Jacob

RomanTheRussian likes this.
  4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Pretty coin. There are lots of contemporary counterfeits that were made by the British government so they could trade with China, that would only take Mexican silver. Still valuable, but not original. Any of the three top TPGs should get it right - ANACS uses Ponterio as their reviewers if they have questions.

serafino likes this.
  5. RomanTheRussian

@TheFinn Thanks for your feedback. I dont believe this year/assayer combination was ever documented as being part of the Birmingham issues, but I will do my analysis when I get receive in in-hand.

James Keffer likes this.
  6. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

7. TheFinn

I'm not really familiar with them, but it seems there is a difference in the shape of the windows in the castle(s). I know there is a guy that has written a book about them - the real and the contemporary counterfeits - I think he goes by "Swamper Bob". You may know of him. Very willing to give his 2-bits worth to teach people.

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Nice example. Congrats.

9. RomanTheRussian

Thanks folks.

Received it last night and this morning it's already on its way to PCGS to receive it's plastic tomb. It was a dark crusty piece that lightened up slightly after an acetone bath, revealing a rich chocolate surface with even a slight trace of luster on the reverse. On a bad day it will go XF40, on a very good day - shot at an AU50.

The wait begins....

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Congrats. Nice "antique" toning.

As to waiting, NGC has had some of my ancients (and those owned by two others) since August 15th.

So... what... about seven weeks?

*groan*

OK, I do cut them a little bit of slack since they did get hit by a hurricane.

Still, I'm beginning to itch.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  11. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how the TPGs authenticate a coin like this. Do they weigh them, check diameter, and check silver content ??

12. TheFinn

Some/all use outside experts if they don't know for sure. I know ANACS uses Ponterio since one of my rejected 8 reales had a post-it note he had written on.

serafino likes this.
  13. TheFinn

It is always hard for me to lock something away in plastic, when I want to hold it to feel the past it experienced.

14. RomanTheRussian

Yup, they do a decent job authenticating, but not 100%. They do use outside consultants, like Ponterio, for some more obscure varieties.

I have quite a few 8 Reales raw, but my primary collection is slabbed with PCGS. They have a pretty strict grading standard that I agree with and I really like their holders.

15. TheFinn

Yes, but they don't make me feel like a pirate.

16. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

LOL, it's hard for me to buy one of those highly faked coins unless it is in plastic. :)

17. TheFinn

That's why you learn what to look for in a real one.

18. RomanTheRussian

Grade just popped. No surprises, good or bad - XF45

[​IMG]

19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing it here at CT, Roman. The design of these classic pieces really grabs my attention.

And then I wonder about all of the people who may have held this piece for the last 214 years...

RomanTheRussian likes this.
  20. TheFinn

Very nice. The colors are much more varied than in looked raw.

21. TheFinn

I have noticed some of what looks like planchet cracks on pillar and portrait dollars - is that a problem some mints were having with blank prep? Impurities that made the silver brittle? They are very prevalent at 12:00 and 6:00 on the reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted