New Julia Titi Dupondius - VESTA

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Nothing spectacular here today, but after selling my first Julia Titi I found a replacement for my brass portrait gallery (the Flavians are shamefully underrepresented in my collection):

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-29 um 13.50.50.png
    IVLIA IMP T AVG F AVGVSTA - Draped bust right with hair bundled high in front and coiled in chignon high in back /
    VESTA S C - Vesta seated left, holding palladium in right hand and scepter in left arm
    Dupondius, Rome 80-81 AD
    27 mm / 12,5 gr / 6 h
    RIC 398, BMCRE (Titus) 257), Sear 2617

And here is her marble portrait at Copenhagen´s Ny Carlsberg Glyptothek:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-29 um 14.50.10.png
    Please show your coins of this unlucky young princess!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Congrats. She's one I never acquired.

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like that portrait. I've honestly never heard of her. Now it's time to do some research! Thanks for sharing.

Julius Germanicus and ominus1 like this.
  5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Congratulations for a great coin. Julia Titi is out of scope for many collectors because of the prices. I like this coin - the details are still there.
    I have seen only 2 coins from Julia Titi, both denarii with Venus in that popular depiction, you know, resting elbow on column. Our colleague @Ryro managed to acquire one and I saw a beautiful example in a recent auction, but well out of my league.

Julius Germanicus and Ryro like this.
  6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

It's a shame her likeness on many of her coins isn't the same as her statues. She'll often look like Titus in drag. Yours however has a lovely portrait of her.
    Here are my two Titis:
    share3880164165390698058.png 1873310_1619626410.l-removebg-preview.png

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That's a nice example @Julius Germanicus. Congrats on acquiring one of the more elusive Flavians!

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like the second one. Though well circulated, obviously, it has that wholesome look of evenly worn silver with no distractions to speak of.

Wow, talk about Flavian facial features, there!

Ryro likes this.
  9. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

I always found it fascinating how it was originally Titus that suggested that Domitian marry his daughter, but Domitian declined, citing his love for Domitia, who he ultimately married, only to carry on a pretty lengthy affair with Titi later during his rule.

For now I have only one coin of hers
    Julia Titi denarius venvs avgvst.jpg

In line with my "one of each title" focus, it is worth mentioning that although the vast majority of her coinage was struck under authority of her father, a few rare issues were struck under Domitian, including some very rare consecration issues, following her death during an attempted abortion of her own cousin (barf).

Marsyas Mike, Ryro, robinjojo and 9 others like this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I just posted my Julia Titi/Vesta dupondius the other day in a different thread, but here it is again. Very similar in design to yours.

Julia Titi - Vesta dupondius jpg version.jpg

11. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

May I join the Julia Titi club?
    upload_2021-9-25_21-37-50.png
    Just acquired it. It is officially the coin I paid the most for. Not something to brag about in regards to condition but the portrait was good enough to make an exception to my "don't buy any other coin this year". And not being sure when would be the next time I find a Julia Titi, I decided it is a must have.
    From what I checked, this is RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 392
    [IVLIA] IMP T AVG F AVGVSTA, Bust of Julia Titi, draped, right; hair bundled high in front and wrapped in bun (sometimes small bun) in back/ [CERES] AVGV[ST] S C, Ceres standing left, holding corn-ears and torch
    28 mm, 11,55 g

Bing, Marsyas Mike, Ryro and 9 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted