Featured New Julia Mamaea Sestertius: IVNO CONSERVATRIX

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

My newest Sestertius is only of mediocre quality, but the type is quite rare and interesting.

IVNO CONSERVATRIX was the very first reverse type of Julia Mamaea, introducing the mother of the new Augustus Severus Alexander to the public as the new Empress in the spring of AD 222.

The type of Juno "the Preserver" was also used for her mother Julia Maesa and promotes the continuity of the Severan regime after the murder of both Elagabalus and his mother Julia Soaemias on March 11, AD 222. It presents the sister and companion of Jupiter as protector of Mamaea´s and Maesa´s lives during the pretorian guard´s revolt that had actually been their own plan.

Mamaea´s portrait at this point still very much resembles that of her elder sister Julia Soaemias with her long neck and slim face.

IMG_4444.jpg

IVLIA MAMAEA AVGVSTA - Draped bust right, diademed, hair weaved in rows and tucked at base of head
    IVNO CONSERVATRIX S C - Juno, diademed and veiled, standing left, patera in right hand, scepter in left, peacock at feet at left
    Sestertius, Rome 222 aD
    30 mm / 24 gr
    RIC 686, Cohen 40, BMCRE 51 (same obverse die), Banti 11 (2 Specimens)

IMG_4448.jpg

The very first coins of the new Empress had been struck with the unusual obverse title IVLIA MAMIAS AVG. It was first used on Denarii which still show Mamaea without the Stephane we can see on all her later coins from the mint of Rome.
    Apart from very rare middle bronzes, Mamaea´s first Sestertii (struck from a single obverse die) were issued with that early obverse legend (RIC 685 var.; Cohen 41) but were soon discontinued (only one published specimen, in the British Museum). According to Curtis Clay, the spelling „Mamias“ might have been found to resemble the name of the murdered (and probably damnated) Julia Soaemias too closely.

The obverse legend was therefore soon corrected to IVLIA MAMAEA while keeping the shortened „AVG“ (RIC 685, Cohen 39). This is still quite rare with less than a dozen specimens recorded. The eight pieces I could find pictures of come from two obverse and six reverse dies.

The final variety of Mamaea´s IVNO CONSERVATRIX Sestertii, to which my coin belongs, has AVGVSTA spelled out (as it is found on all of her Sestertii of other types) and must therefore (according to Clay) be the latest of the three. Even though four of these coins are listed in the Guelma hoard, out of the six (other) specimens I found illustrated all seem to share the same obverse die. On the reverse, mine seems to be the only one that has the peacock looking to the right.

On AC Search, Sestertii of this type are outnumbered by corresponding Denarii 50 to 1 and by IVNO AVGVSTAE Sestertii of hers 15 to 1.

Please post your Mamaeas, Iuno Conservatrix coins, Peacocks, ideas, or anything related!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very nice write-up and new coin! I especially appreciate your call out as to the evolution of the bust and obverse legend! Great!!

[​IMG]
    Julia Mamaea, Mother of Severus Alexander who ruled 222-235 AD
    AR Denarius, Struck 225-235 AD, Rome Mint

Obverse: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, draped bust right
    Reverse: IVNO CONSERVATRIX, Juno, diademed, veiled, draped, standing left, holding patera in right hand and sceptre in left hand; at feet, peacock.
    References: RIC IV 343
    [​IMG]

4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats, She looks very young on that coin , in 222 she was about 40 years old.

P1180980.JPG

P118069722cleaned.jpg

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This one just arrived in the mail from a European auction held December 7! It is very similar to yours, @Julius Germanicus , but has a shorter obverse legend. The British Museum does not have an example in their collection, astonishingly.

Mamaea IVNO CONSERVATRIX sestertius.jpg
    Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.12 g, 28.7 mm, 1 h.
    Rome, 1st emission, early AD 222.
    Obv: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: IVNO CONSERVATRIX S C, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet.
    Refs: RIC 685; BMCRE --; Cohen 39; RCV --; Banti 10.
    Notes: Die match to CNG eAuction 280, lot 258, June 6, 2012. Obverse die match to the Banti specimen.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My coins are ordinary in type and spelling but appealed to me for reasons that made them the right coins for me. The Juno denarius is an unusual die clash where damage shows on the obverse but not on the reverse. Usually clash damage is seen on the reverse. One explanation is that the clash was more strongly hammered than most and the reverse die was destroyed. This coin was struck with a replacement reverse not part of the clashed pair.
    rn0365fd0892.jpg
    For many years my lack of interest in the later Severans made this sestertius my first, non-fourree Mamaea enough to satisfy.
    rn0370bb0410.jpg

Before that I did have this fourree which has thicker silver than most plated coins this late. As the silver content of denarii declined, the desired profit for making fourrees caused most to use thinner silver skins.
    rn0380bb0272.jpg

7. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

I just picked these up, but the seller is killing me. Total of 30 coins but they were ALL TAPED DOWN!!! I wanted to stab my eyes out. Would tall mind giving them a look over, I don't think I got ripped off but still learning.

Attached Files:

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

IULIA MAMAEA
    [​IMG]
    RI Julia Mamaea AR denarius Pietas incense altar perfume Seaby 48

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Love your example @Julius Germanicus and the writeup going with it

I have a commoner example, but it appealed to me with its terrific hair clip and diadem (was a birthday present from my parents a couple years ago)

[​IMG]
    Julia Mamaea, Sestertius - Rome mint, AD 224
    IVLIA MAMA EA AVGVSTA, Draped and diademed bust right
    VENERI FELICI, Venus standing right, holding Cupid and a sceptre. SC in field
    17.85 gr
    Ref : RIC # 694, RCV # 8232, Cohen # 62

Q

Sulla80, Alegandron, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Q, That's a nice razor sharp strike :D. Pictured below is one I scored last year.
    RIC IV 676, obv..JPG RIC IV 676, rev..JPG

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

J.G., Congratulations on scoring this rarity ;)! I was unaware of the name difference "Mamias" on these sestertii. Pictured below is a denarius of her lascivious sister Julia Soaemias, just for comparison. The 4 Julia's from that dynasty held a lot of influence & power :cool:.

IMG_8499.JPG Julia Soaemias, AR denarius, 2.59 gm, 18 mm.jpg

Sulla80, Alegandron, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  12. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Thanks for resurrecting my old thread (it sank without a trace when I originally posted it) :)!

Your coin is also an obverse die match to the only specimen listed and illustrated by Banti (formerly in the Gnecchi collection), but from a different reverse die.

What I beauty!!! I´m still looking for a Sestertius of hers in that quality!

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

It's mama!! :shy:

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 2.20.01 PM.jpg

Thanks to both JG and RC for this thread. Here's a related coin you might like:

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 2.28.08 PM.jpg
    This is a very rare first (proclamation) issue dupondius of SA, RIC 565 var. (bust type). Not too much patina, JG. :)

Sulla80, Alegandron, Cucumbor and 5 others like this.
  14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Had to revive this thread because I just got one like the OP - the reverse is particularly scarred by the Hand of Time, but it was nice to find this thread again and read about it.

It was especially interesting to read Julius Germanicus OP on the background to this particular issue - thank you JG for that!

Julia Mamaea - Sest IVNO Feb 2020 (0).jpg

Julia Mamaea Æ Sestertius
    (Mother of Severus Alex.)
    (222 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

IVL[IA] MAMAEA AVGVSTA, draped & diademed bust r. / [IVNO CONSE]RVA[TRIX] SC, Juno standing front holding patera & sceptre; peacock left.
    RIC 686
    (20.93 grams / 30 mm)

15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My one Julia Mamaea -- I have one coin for each of the Severan Julias: Julia Mamaea (mother of Severus Alexander), AR Denarius. Obv. Bust draped right wearing diadem (stephane), IVLIA MAMAEA AVG/ Rev. Venus stdg. front, head left, holding helmet & scepter, shield leans against her at left. VENVS VICTRIX. RIC IV-2 358, RSC III 76 (ill.), Sear RCV II 8216 (ill.), BMCRE 713. 20.5 mm., 2.88 g.

Julia Mamaea AR Denarius.jpg

16. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed your informative post and interesting coin @Julius Germanicus. Here is a Julia Mamaea, Augusta, AD 222-235, AR Denarius, Rome mint. 15th emission of Severus Alexander, AD 232. The big eyed portrait and detailed reverse were irresistible.
    Julia Mamaea Fecunditas.jpg
    Obv: IVLIA MA-MAEA AVG, Draped bust right, wearing stephane
    Rev: FECUND AVGVSTAE, Fecunditas standing left, holding cornucopia, extending hand to child reaching up to her
    Size: 19.8mm 3.38g
    Ref: RIC IV 331 (Alexander)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

A wonderful, and irresistible, coin. Love it. The detail is beautiful.

Sulla80 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted