New Hot Topic On The ANA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by baseball21, Aug 26, 2017.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm usually not a major fan of these, but the new one is up and have to say that I agree with a A LOT of this one about the ANA.

http://www.legendnumismatics.com/hot-topics/stick-a-fork-in-it/

Edit: Have to say I am very surprised by the number of people that insist on focusing on grammar instead of actual content considering some of her suggestions were an ANA run registry set and online ANA education which is something a lot of people have wanted for a long time. If we are at the point that all that matters is grammar I surely hope every post those folks make is absolutely perfect.

The only thing that has been discussed more than Dan's legality is Laura's grammar. Seriously give it a rest and lets actually discuss content for once when this Hot Topic is probably her tamest one ever and brings up a lot of good points.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    rrdenarius and Stork like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Disappointed office seeker.........

jj00 likes this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

That article would carry a lot more credibility if it were well constructed and grammatically correct instead of sounding like a stream-of-consciousness frustration dump. I am sure there are some very valid points in there but presentation is everything.

Stevearino and jj00 like this.
  5. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Honestly, that was my reaction as well.

Stevearino likes this.
  6. baseball21

Should she work on that yes, that's been addressed a billion times on many forms. I am far more concerned about actual substance instead of fluff issues like presentation.

Insider likes this.
  7. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Yes, but 'fluff issues like presentation' will gather folks that think it is just a rant.....

Stevearino likes this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

But then it wouldn't be as recognizable as being Laura's.

Evan8, Stork, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Having spend almost half my life working for Corporate America I can assure that presentation is 90% of the battle. If you want people to listen you have to present yourself correctly.

green18, TIF, Cascade and 1 other person like this.
  10. baseball21

If the worst criticism someone can say about something is criticizing the delivery, it hit the nail right on the head

furham and Insider like this.
  11. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I'm still waiting for a return phone call about an issue with their web site. It's been a year and a half now. If you can't answer the phone when your customer calls, then at least respond to the voice mail.

12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I am familiar with the name but I do not know the person. So I cannot say anything at all about her. But I can say something about the presentation and that does not create a good impression. As I said, I am sure there are some very valid points in there but presentation is everything if you want people to listen.

13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I actually had two separate issues with the ANA yesterday, one with my membership renewal and one with the website. I got an e-mail response to both with an hour.

14. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Good for you. Customer service is the bedrock of any service organization. In this case Member service drives retention as well as new member registrations.

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yeah, yeah, attack the messenger - not the message. While both of you may have a better education, I'll bet neither of you has made anywhere near the contribution to numismatics and the ANA as she has.

I would recognize her if I saw her so I know who she is. I don't recall ever saying anything to her except perhaps Hi one time while passing her in the aisle of a big show. I did write about her once after she wrote something like "truly Uncirculated Bust half dollars are extremely rare."

That said, she is hated by many folks. She has been banned or quit posting on important coin forums and is often a subject of discussion. After reading her post, I can see why. She lays it all out in no uncertain terms.

I don't know about the inner workings of the modern ANA board but I've been around long enough (ANA Life Member) and seen enough of the ANA and its board of governors to know there was a lot of personal infighting, "politics," (EDIT I'll keep the rest to myself) at one time.

This is obvious and part of her rant. The last few ANA shows have been duds! One show a year is plenty and it may be best to pick only three cities to ever visit. Places like Chicago, Philly, Atlanta or somewhere out west like Las Vegas.

fireguy83, dwhiz and cpm9ball like this.
  16. baseball21

I probably came off short before, its just that her grammar has literally been beaten to death in threads and often times gets used by people to try and distract the conversation when she does have some good points that aren't popular. I'd rather just focus on substance at this point

furham and Insider like this.
  17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Without decent grammar, spelling and usage, it's often very difficult to get any substance across. So grammar is substance because bad grammar can obscure substance. If someone can't express themselves in a coherent way, the message gets lost. Plus, excessively poor grammar and spelling (i.e., loads of mistakes, a few here and there are acceptable) just looks careless and makes a piece seem dashed off and not well thought out. Poor writing often gets poorly understood. That's why people often bring grammar up, though I agree that sometimes people can go too far. But don't underestimate the ability to express yourself clearly in writing. You risk being horribly misunderstood otherwise.

Stevearino, TIF and sakata like this.
  18. baseball21

I get what you're saying, but I have never once seen any of her writings that are so far gone they're incoherent and frankly am so sick of just seeing any post or idea turn into this nonsense every time and I don't even like half her posts. In all honesty to put it bluntly if anyone struggles to understand that post she just made the lack of intelligence isn't on her end.

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I understand it. I just don't take it seriously.

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've never had the opportunity to meet Laura Sperber in person, but I have read many of her commentaries over the years. If I ever have the opportunity to meet her, I will simply say, "Thank you!"

Chris

fireguy83 and baseball21 like this.
  21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How does one "bring grammar up"?

FWIW, if we, the members of Coin Talk were to concentrate on educating one another on the correct usage of the English language, we would never have time to express our opinions on anything else.

Chris

Stork, Insider, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted