New Holders from NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hookman, Jan 21, 2019.

?

These are useful or not?

1. Useful

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Not useful

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Who cares !

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I know at least some of you have seen the new 2 coin holders being offered by NGC. What do you think of them? Does anyone plan to use them? Do you think they have a needed use? Are they just superfluous? Are they just a marketing tool? Are they just a way for NGC to make more money? Why are they currently restricted to only " select bulk submissions "?
    Personally, I think they may have a place in Numismatics, for sets, for comparison purposes, even for Combo offerings.

Post your thoughts, opinions, and replies. Discuss, debate, even argue...Politely.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

I don't like multicoin holders especially if used for classic coins. I have seen toned Morgans together. It is annoying because you are forced to buy multiple coins to acquire one of interest.

NSP, Hookman and Paul M. like this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

While I haven't had a need to use one of the holders that fits more than one coin, I do see the benefits.
    Certain coins "belong" together (the split CC dollar) and others just look nice together (two similar toned coins). It's also a good fit for certain sets (like the 2013 US Mint Silver Eagle Set).

JPeace$ and Hookman like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm not against multicoin holders, that said the NGC one to me does look awkward without any sort of break in the middle of it.

Because they cost time and money slowing down the process of holdering coins. if anyone could get them or just request it randomly in a submission it would slow down the process a lot having to check for that.

For the person holdering the coins they are definitely more annoying to work with as well

Hookman likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Meh!

Chris

Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

While some toners can be nicely matched, I do agree with you in general that it's usually annoying to see them in double (or multi) holders. The person selling also loses out in most cases since the coins would likely sell for more individually (people tend to want a discount on multiples or don't value both coins highly).

Hookman likes this.
  8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I was disappointed when I clicked this thread. I was hoping they finally were coming out with slabs for the slabs:rolleyes:

Maxfli, dwhiz, Hookman and 4 others like this.
  9. EyeAppealingCoins

I know. How will I ensure that my CAC stickers are protected?

dwhiz, NSP, Hookman and 5 others like this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

But then you put a CAC sticker on the slab of the slab with the CAC sticker on it. :vomit:

paddyman98, dwhiz, Evan8 and 4 others like this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I like the idea of the multi-holder for certain sets - a set of 1982 pennies, a mint set, etc.

But this isn't really a multi-holder... this is a two-coin holder. I have a really hard time seeing what the point of this is, or why we need it (besides marketing, of course). If they went back to the full multi-holder like they used to have, I could get behind it. But the 2-coin holder just seems silly.

Hookman and Paul M. like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Another marketing ploy to me.

dwhiz, Hookman and Paul M. like this.
  13. EyeAppealingCoins

For moderns, very common coins, or very inexpensive coins it might be okay. I would not want an original/matched 19th century proof set in one.

Hookman and Paul M. like this.
  14. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

When I saw the title of this post, I was so hopeful they were going to change the style of their holders. Having a coin surrounded by white make taking good pictures so much harder than it needs to be.
    A 2 coin holder means it won't fit with the rest of their slabs.

Hookman likes this.
  15. EyeAppealingCoins

Optically, it would help if the holder was much thinner.

Hookman likes this.
  16. baseball21

At the very least having the scratch resistant one be the new standard would have been nice. This announcement seems like it was several years late

Hookman likes this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I don't subscribe to 'holdering' moderns..........but I do like the two coin holder deal. :)

Hookman and EyeAppealingCoins like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I find that the white holder hides part of the coin and I think it detracts from the Coins appearance.

Hookman likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Bulk submission orders only? Why do I get the feeling that Mike Mezack (sp?) had something to do with this?

Chris

dwhiz and Hookman like this.
  20. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

It’s definiely a marketing ploy when they list it as a first issue.

Hookman likes this.
  21. baseball21

Probably not to be honest. He has the rights to the NGC flag cores, but if it was him he very likely would have wanted an exclusive like he has with most of his other stuff

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted