New Hoard of Denarii Found

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

No reverses? No further articles? Why the coverup? I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but....:grandpa:

Zc.jpg

Hum. Now that I think about it....Why all the media silence about the coins and Area 51? Coincidence? I don't think so. Giant hoax or something greater? :eek:

Seriously, though, there should been more information out there about the find.

guy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Ancient Doug: Good pick-up :thumb:

I guess this coin (AD 161-2) was issued about five years after the Marcus Aurelius (AVRELIVS CAESAR ANTON) in the middle of the middle row? This would make it the latest coin minted.

guy

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are four Marcus coins in the group. First is row 3 far right showing the curly mop top and no beard of the young Caesar. Next is row 2 center showing the older Caesar probably soon before he became Augustus. Top row middle is adult and Augustus. Last is Row 2 far right Divus posthumous issue by Commodus. One could make a case for these being the four most different 'looks' for Aurelius which adds weight to the theory that the group was a collection. However, except for the two different Antoninus Pius coins and the rulers represented by just one coin, the obverses show duplications I can't explain. If we saw the reverses, it might be obvious but I suspect this is just a representative cross section of what was circulating. I remain troubled by two nice Nerva's but perhaps that ruler was special to the soldier. We can never know such things for certain.

5. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thank you Ancient Doug and others for your better eyesight and experience in identifying the coins. :bow:

Question: Isn't that Divus Antoninvs coin by Marcus Aurelius?

guy

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No. Marcus Aurelius was then known as Antoninus so the Divus M Antoninus Pius is Divus Marcus Aurelius. Of the odd things in coin naming one of the most odd is there is no coin of Antoninus Pius that reads 'Antoninus Pius'. If his coins include 'Pius' there is an AVG separating the two parts ANTONINVS AVG PIVS. His Divus issues read DIVVS ANTONINVS (no PIVS). Antoninus Pius was a Titus not a Marcus. Many of his coins have Antoninus but no Pius; any coin reading ANTONINVS PIVS belongs to someone else. This page gives the idea in pictures:
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=DIVVS+ANTONINVS&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#18

Y
    ou have to scroll down quite a bit before you get to the Marcus Aurelius coins.

7. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thank you for the thoughtful and helpful reply. Approximately when would this coin have been issued?

Thanks in advance.

guy

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Marcus died in 180 AD and consecration issues usually seem to follow rather soon so that is a good guess. The major (but not only) exception is the large series of Divus antoniniani traditionally credited to Trajan Decius which covered Augustus through Septimius.

9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thank you, again.

g

Draft saved Draft deleted