Featured New Herennius Etruscus Antoninianus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Mar 25, 2019.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Just received this coin in the mail. Starting in 250 Herennius Etruscus was Caesar under his Father Trajan Decius before being elevated to Augustus in May of 251. The Goths under King Cniva invaded the Empire, Etruscus was sent by Decius with an advance force to crush the invaders, after which Decius resolved to meet the enemy with the rest of his legions.

At the Battle of Nikopolis ad Istrum the Romans were victorious, however the enemy was able to leave the field with some of their forces intact, and ambushed the Romans at the Battle of Beroe and again at the Battle of Abritus.

Early in this battle Etruscus was killed by a Gothic arrow. His father, seeing the panic of the troops, rallied them by saying that the loss of one soldier was of little significance to the Republic. The battle continued and Decius also was killed - the first time a Roman emperor had died in battle against barbarians. Following their deaths, the troops in Moesia acclaimed Trebonianus Gallus augustus, and he was forced to conclude a humiliating peace treaty with the Goths by handing over vast quantities of gold and silver.

Herennius Etruscus (250-251 A.D.)

AR Antoninianus, 23mm 3.0 grams

Obverse: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, Bare-headed and draped bust right

Reverse: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Herennius standing left, holding rod and spear.

Reference: RIC 147c, RSC 26. Sear 9523

etruscus1.jpg

etruscus2.jpg

Feel free to show any coins of Decius or Etruscus that you have.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Herennius Etruscus (251 A.D.)
    Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: EPENNE TPOY ME KY DEKIOC KECAP, Bare headed draped bust right, five dots beneath.
    R: DEMAPX EXOYCIAC, Eagle standing left, head left, tail to right, wreath in beak, with wings spread, standing on palm, SC in exe.
    Antioch Mint, 251 A.D.
    26mm
    13g
    McAlee 1153e; Prieur 636

[​IMG]
    Herennius Etruscus ( 251 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, radiate and draped bust right, seen from behind.
    R: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Herennius standing left, holding baton and spear.
    Rome
    22mm
    4.07g
    RIC IV 147c; RSC 26

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

that's a good lookin' coin!..:)

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

Pretty good except for a couple of dark deposits and a bit of a soft strike, or worn dies on the right side of the legend. I like the strong portrait though. Collectible examples seem to be going for $120-150 these days, but I got it for less than that.

Justin Lee likes this.
  6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Herennius Etruscus. As Caesar, 249-251 AD. AR Antoninianus (3.77 gm). Rome mint, 1st officina. 3rd emission of Trajan Decius, 250 AD. Obv: Radiate and draped bust right. Rev: Mercury standing left, holding purse and caduceus. RIC IV 142b (Decius); RSC 11. HerenniusEtruscusAntMercury.jpg

kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 8 others like this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice looking new bling! I always feel for the young fella whenever I read his story.
    1459BA31-9F5F-428B-AA59-22840FAF38EF.jpeg

HerenniusEtruscus. Silver Antoninianus as Caesar, AD 250-251. Rome, under Trajan Decius, AD 250. Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, radiate and draped bust of HerenniusEtruscus right. Reverse: PIETAS AVGVSTORVM, Sprinkler, simpulum, jug, patera and lituus. RIC 143; RSC 14.

6373CD72-F7FD-4646-BE4B-3AEB3C39EF2B.jpeg
    HerenniusEtruscus

MOESIA,SUPERIOR, Viminacium. As Caesar, AD 249-251. Æ 26mm (11.81 g, 5h). Dated CY 12 (AD 250/1). Bare-headed and cuirassed bust right / Moesia standing facing, head left, hands placed above bull on left and lion on right; AN XII (date) in exergue. Jekov & Hristova61; Mouchmov 50. VF for type, green patina, 250-251. nearly very fine

kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 6 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice one @ancient coin hunter ! And super write-up.

HERENNIUS ETRUSCUS:

RI Herennius Etruscus 251 CE AR Ant Apollo seated.jpg
    RI Herennius Etruscus 251 CE AR Ant Apollo seated

RI Herennius Etruscus 251 CE AR Ant Prince Stdng.jpg
    RI Herennius Etruscus 251 CE AR Ant Prince Stdng

PAPPY DECIUS:

RI Trajan Decius 249-251 CE AR Ant Dacia draco standard.jpg
    RI Trajan Decius 249-251 CE AR Ant Dacia draco standard

...aaand, raise ya one since the name is the same...
    MAMMY ETRUSCILLA:
    (hmmm... He must had been a MOMMA's boy, being named after Mommy...)

upload_2019-3-25_21-37-57.png
    RI Herennia Etruscilla 249-251 BCE w-Trajan Decius Ant crescent Fecunditas cornucopiae child RSC 8

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 7 others like this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice Herennius Etruscus ancient coin hunter with a terrific portrait. Here's my long skinny head type. Gbaj05xuQJmO7HBPEwnY_Syria.jpg Syria, Seleucis and Pieria. Antiochia ad Orontem. Herennius Etruscus. As Caesar, A.D. 250-251. Æ octassarion. 31mm // 16,30g. Obv: ЄPЄNN ЄTPOV MЄ KV ΔЄKIOC KЄCAP, bare-headed and draped bust of Herennius Etruscus right. Rev: ANTIOXЄΩN MHTPO KOΛΩN, Tyche seated within tetrastyle temple, the river-god Orontes swimming at her feet; above shrine, ram leaping right, head left; in exergue, S C. McAlee 1158.

kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 6 others like this.
  10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The whole famn damily:
    [​IMG]
    Trajan Decius
    Silver Double Denarius
    Rome mint
    Obv: IMP TRAIAN DECIVS AVG
    Rev: ADVENTVS AVG - Emperor on horseback, riding left, raising right hand and holding short scepter
    RIC 1(b)
    22mm, 2.9g.

[​IMG]
    Herennia Etruscilla
    Silver Double Denarius
    Rome mint
    Obv: HER ETRVS-CILLA AVG
    Rev: PVDICITIA AVG - Pudicitia, veiled, seated left, holding scepter
    RIC (Trajan Decius) 59(b)
    24mm, 4.6g.

[​IMG]
    Herennius Etruscus
    Silver Double Denarius
    Rome mint, A.D. 250-251
    Obv: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C
    Rev: PIETAS AVGVSTORVM - Sprinkler, simpulum, jug and lituus.
    RIC (Trajan Decius) 143
    22mm, 3.6g.

kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 9 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Herennius Etruscus / Clasped hands CONCORDIA AVGG Rome mint
    ro1375bb2959.jpg

This Herennius PRINCIPI IVVEN is rather late as fourrees go. I would seem to have almost as much silver in the plating as some billon coins have inside so the profit was dwindling.
    ro1370bb1377.jpg

Another but not abbreviated and not fourree:
    ro1365fd2161.jpg

kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 8 others like this.
  12. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Lovely any there, ACH! I don't have one of him yet.

13. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I have an Antoninianus and a Sestertius of Herennius (can´t decide between the two for my one-per-ruler collection):

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-26 um 14.58.31.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-15 um 09.03.33.png

kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 7 others like this.
  14. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I'm glad to watch a full featured thread on Herennius Etruscus. Actually I posted one few years ago, and then posted it again from time to time after better cleaning and better shots. I'm just now transmitting the photos from my old folders.
    The bronze coin has a rather big size and weighs nearly 13 g. The reverse shows a plowing scene heading LEFT. I couldn't find any similar coin in any reference whatsoever. Assistance is greatly appreciated to find any attribution. Thanks.

Hereni O       Plow HLeft.JPG Heren R          Plowing scen.JPG Herennius O PlowSc L.jpg

kaparthy, dlhill132, octavius and 2 others like this.
  15. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I like Decius - I think he got a bad rap from some historians. Here are 2 sestertii and an antoninianus. these are followed by coins of both his sons... Herennius Etruscus and Hostillian. 3470531.jpg 4090672.jpg 4495540l.jpg 4100380.jpg 7jiLD82dHaQ5i6GS4RNbyq3Rc9ZPZx.jpg

16. ancient coin hunter

Yes, he has been castigated, fairly or unfairly for his treatment of Christians, among other religious minorities that refused to sacrifice to the traditional gods. Also, still need a Hostilian for my collection.

17. ancient coin hunter

Great coins everybody - now I am looking for a good example of Hostilian, which I seem to have found. Will probably pull the trigger today.

Draft saved Draft deleted